Our mission

Who's missing a monti eating nudi?

It's Aptasia eating Berghia for sure. Are you sure it was eating your montipora or was it just on it? I've Never heard of or seen of them eating coral. I find it hard to believe! Berghia are difficult to maintain in a tank.

Mike

[quote author=Exotic Aquatics link=topic=3556.msg40959#msg40959 date=1208538964]
It's Aptasia eating Berghia for sure. Are you sure it was eating your montipora or was it just on it? I've Never heard of or seen of them eating coral. I find it hard to believe! Berghia are difficult to maintain in a tank.

Mike [/quote]
Na, after looking closer the appendages are different. Deffinately monti eating nudi's :(

These are monti eating nudi's
rftracy01figa.jpg

These are the berghia
IM004024_Berghia6_onRock.jpg

You can sometimes see them during the day but it is night time they come out to play. I had them a several years ago too. Had to the the toothpick flashlight vigil for several months but eventually got rid of them. Thy like the undersides of montis and especially the folds. The can be quite devistating but can be beat, I assure you.

Sorry your picture wasn't a closeup and a little fuzzy. I've cultured Aiptasia Berghia before and Your Pic looked exactly like them. Are you sure they were eating your coral or just on it?
Mike

Yeah, I don't have a nice enough camera to get a good picture of the little guys. They have been munching for sure, i found 2 of them under some cap that now has a half inch white corner which wasn't there before.

Sorry to hear tehy turned out to be monti eating nudis. I luckily havent had this pest yet.

Can someone post a picture of the damage they see from them?

Here you go.
You can see the 2 white sections in the back
nudidamage1.jpg

This one is blurry but you ca see the line at the base that used to have flesh on it
nudidamage2.jpg

Well I have more bad news. My (NY) Monti Spongoles had most of it's underside munched on and it was covered with nudi's. Rather than risk the chance of it having eggs on it I bit the bullet and totally chopped the bottom off. I have 1 large frag and one small 1 with a few pieces on each. My BAR Red Cap and my Idaho Grape look fine so far but I'll be watching closely. I'm convinced that all these guys didn't come from this last round of DBTC frags. There must have been eggs on something I received a while back, who knows.

Man, that sucks! If you would loose your NY Monti Spongoles let me know and I will give you back the DBTC frag I received from you at last meeting.

They get all lumpy, like the way Humpty-Hump like his oatmeal "I'm funky I like my oatmeal lumpy, my nose is large..." everyone sing along!

Back