Jestersix

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 build

amonia is at 0 and Nitrate is between 5-10. Looks like it was a pretty quick cycle.
IMG_7674.JPG

No nitrite test? I know my amonia went to 0 but still had nitrites for a while. I'd also expect the nitrates to be higher.

Agreed. Need to check nitrites and make sure you have nitrobacter colonies seeded to process nitrites to nitrates. It took a little longer than 2x the time for those to colonize than the nitrosomona bacteria (ammonia->nitrite) did for me.

Yea, I definitely need to test for nitrite, but we didn't have any test kits at work for it. I'll probably swing by the legs and pick one up this week

Watch that gsp. You are going to end up with a gsp tank if you don't trim it back often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to try my best to keeping it on the back wall only. though, now that it's there, i can see it being a pain to try and trim back. I just couldn't resist the idea of having a green furry wall as a backdrop

I really like the look of your tank will look great once filled in

Thanks!

I added a Randalls pistol shrimp yesterday. He got to work right away working on his burrow and it was extremely entertaining to watch but.... his wall of rocks he was removing avalanched down and covered his hole. I blew some rocks off and he eventually dug himself out. He continued making a new burrow in the same spot. Came in this morning and that burrow is completely close up again. Will pistol shrimp close up a burrow if they decide to leave to a new spot? I plan on getting a small shrimp goby and I hope they find each other (as long as the pistol isn't trapped somewhere).
IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG
Had to move my tank from one side of the office building to the other side where my new desk location would be. I shrink wrapped the top and got some help to lift the tank and stand onto a furniture dolly and rolled it over to its new location. It's been a week since and luckily my Pistol shrimp didn't get buried in an avalanche inside his lair.

I also added a Yellow watchman goby almost a week prior to the tank move. He found the pistol shrimp that same day and even squeezed into the tiny cave that the pistol shrimp had built. But the next day the YWG had found a bigger home on the right side of the tank and the pistol stayed right up front in the burrow he already built.

What's odd is that the clownfish, who spends all day on the front left of the tank sleeps in the bottom right with the YWG. The goby also spends his day in his cave or on the far right side of the tank and doesn't normally go to that corner during the day. This also worries me because the opening to the pistol shrimps burrow is right where the clownfish's tail is. I was worried that the shrimp might attack him for being so close to the burrow, but I hunt noticed anything yet.

Bummed that I can't really add anymore fish due to the tank size. Would like to get some ricordea's of different colors but have been reading that people are having trouble keeping them long term. Anyone have any long term success?

IMG_7838.JPG

Here's a slightly better photo I got today of them hanging out. However, both fish have been spending time in the front with each other while the lights were on as well. For a good amount of time the clownfish was swimming close enough to brush up against the YWG every time his tail wagged.

Was hoping to get to watch the interaction between the pistol and goby, but watching the goby with the clownfish is pretty entertaining.

i came into the office this morning and didn't see my clownfish swimming around. eventually found him dead in the back corner. pretty bummed. he's been eating fine and acting normal. wasn't in the office yesterday, so I'm not sure when it happened. his tail was pretty beat up, but that could have been the hermit after the fact.

maybe sleeping on the pistol shrimps doorstep finally caught up to him. the yellow watchman goby is fine. he's acting normal and ate just fine today.

i came into the office this morning and didn't see my clownfish swimming around. eventually found him dead in the back corner. pretty bummed. he's been eating fine and acting normal. wasn't in the office yesterday, so I'm not sure when it happened. his tail was pretty beat up, but that could have been the hermit after the fact.

maybe sleeping on the pistol shrimps doorstep finally caught up to him. the yellow watchman goby is fine. he's acting normal and ate just fine today.

So sad :(, I lost a nice clown before and it sucks. I feel your pain, but don't get discouraged, your tank it still new and has tons of potential. Best of luck with it!

Thanks guys. Definitely sucks, but such is life having a reef tank I guess. I've been trying to figure out what the cause was all day and the only thing I can come up with is the pistol shrimp. Even though he's small and they're generally not aggressive, the clownfish would sleep directly above or next to the opening to his burrow.

Definitely want to pick up another fish, just not sure what to get yet.

Watch that gsp. You are going to end up with a gsp tank if you don't trim it back often.

Yea, it's tempting to use GSP in the beginning to cover bare rocks but I would just pull it all out now while you still can. They spread out of control, sting and kill corals, and you will end up pulling your rocks out one by one and trying to scrape off the remaining bits.

Back