Kessil

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 build

Yea, it's tempting to use GSP in the beginning to cover bare rocks but I would just pull it all out now while you still can. They spread out of control, sting and kill corals, and you will end up pulling your rocks out one by one and trying to scrape off the remaining bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far my gsp has stayed on the rock it was placed on. I figure that if it starts to grow too much I'll put rubble rock and have it grow on it and then give it away
77bd26977eabf5713f2a9ab0dde29d8f.jpg

The GSP has started to grow and spread on the back wall in the spots where I glued it down, the bottom tip curled up and away from the wall when I first put it in, I wonder if it'll pull itself back onto the wall. It looks cool when it's open, but there's some cyano on it that keeps it from opening fully.

I also got a new Clownfish from Neptunes. Went with a basic captive bred instaead of a fancy designer clown. Seems happy and has already taken to my Frogspawn. He gravitated to it the first day and looks to have moved in over the long holiday weekend.

IMG_7930.GIF

The GSP has started to grow and spread on the back wall in the spots where I glued it down, the bottom tip curled up and away from the wall when I first put it in, I wonder if it'll pull itself back onto the wall. It looks cool when it's open, but there's some cyano on it that keeps it from opening fully.

I also got a new Clownfish from Neptunes. Went with a basic captive bred instaead of a fancy designer clown. Seems happy and has already taken to my Frogspawn. He gravitated to it the first day and looks to have moved in over the long holiday weekend.

View attachment 6135
I'm jealous that your clownfish took to the frogspawn so quickly. I've had mine over a year now with no interest.

I'm jealous that your clownfish took to the frogspawn so quickly. I've had mine over a year now with no interest.

Yea, I was pretty happy to see him trying to warm up to it the same day I put him in by brushing it with his tail repeatedly. Come into work today to see him swimming in and around the different branches. Honestly, I'm just happy he isn't sleeping on the entrance to the pistol shrimps lair...

I had seen some craigslist post from a guy in San Jose selling a good variety of fish, corals, and anemones. I decided to stop and check it out.

He had 6+ tanks with some nice fish. And a larger frag tank. Gave me a killer deal on a nice white speckled green/rose bubble tip anemone and two zoa colonies. Really cool guy and definitely worth stopping by and checking out. He had some really nice percula clownfish with great coloring, but I had already bought my clownfish.
IMG_8027.JPG

is that Matt at Gilham Way?

He supposedly TTM all the fish that he sell?

Yup, thats him. i can't attest to his qt procedure, but i did overhear him talking to another customer that was there the same time i was about his TTM process and that it was the reason he only ordered fish at certain times so that he could properly QT them before adding them to the main display tanks.

it's definitely worth checking out as the fish did appear to be healthy specimens, but again, i have not purchased fish from him yet.

Yup, thats him. i can't attest to his qt procedure, but i did overhear him talking to another customer that was there the same time i was about his TTM process and that it was the reason he only ordered fish at certain times so that he could properly QT them before adding them to the main display tanks.

it's definitely worth checking out as the fish did appear to be healthy specimens, but again, i have not purchased fish from him yet.

From the stock list on his CL posting, I wonder how he manage to TTM that many. And his price seems to be more than good if the fish has made it through TTM.

From the stock list on his CL posting, I wonder how he manage to TTM that many. And his price seems to be more than good if the fish has made it through TTM.

Now that you mention it, that is a large amount of water and time to do TTM treatment for all those fish. Pretty good deal price wise, that is if he is actually doing TTM the proper way.

It did look like he had a lot of extra equipment in the garage, so it is possible that he is doing it. Maybe someone who has bought fish from him can chime in.

Regardless if the shop or person I'm buying fish for has done TTM, or qt'd for 6 months or whatnot. Every fish I get will be put through TTM by me personally.

If you are willing to risk your entire tank to someone else, your prerogative.

Regardless if the shop or person I'm buying fish for has done TTM, or qt'd for 6 months or whatnot. Every fish I get will be put through TTM by me personally.

Solid advice right here. I know it gets said a lot, for both corals and fish, but it's important to resist the temptation to just through things into the tank with just acclimation.

Solid advice right here. I know it gets said a lot, for both corals and fish, but it's important to resist the temptation to just through things into the tank with just acclimation.

Yeah I would totally put my new fish through the regiment. But corals is a different story though... I really don't want to maintain two reef capable light/parameters etc. Most likely will just dip and go.

Yeah I would totally put my new fish through the regiment. But corals is a different story though... I really don't want to maintain two reef capable light/parameters etc. Most likely will just dip and go.
Agreed. Would be great if I had a whole other system to QT corals properly, have high quality lighting and clean water for SPS etc, but I don't have the space, money, time, energy for a whole second system. Acclimate, dip, remove old plug, dip in something else, scrub base, inspect, glue new plug, and go.

I have TTM all my fish, but shrimp, snails and other inverts I have not. I know maybe some trophants or whatever those are called might be on the shell, but what's best practice for inverts?

I have TTM all my fish, but shrimp, snails and other inverts I have not. I know maybe some trophants or whatever those are called might be on the shell, but what's best practice for inverts?

So this really has bugged me for a while. If you're not going to QT everything wet you bring into your main tank, does TTM really help in the long run? I get that odds decrease with TTM, but with non-QT coral, snails, anemones, shrimp, etc. possibly bringing in those ich eggs/cysts to your tank aren't you eventually likely to have ich in your tank? Bayer, coralRX, iodine will not kill the eggs on coral and there are no dips or methods for shrimps/snails/anemones. Not to mention all those corals that are mounted on live rocks like mushrooms and zoas. Those zoa laden rocks scare me that's why I never buy them.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...I'll move it out if you want me to.

I'm just reading about it. Best practice is to QT inverts for 72 days. Wth. Starting to suck the joy out of this hobby. I hope my existing Trochus snails make babies...

No worries, this is all good info.

On another note though, over the past week, my rocks have been turning green. I'm hoping his is coraline algae. It's doesn't seem slimy or long like hair algae. And it hasn't taken over the purple coraline patches. It started happening around the time I added the zoa colonies, so it may have come on with those pieces of rocks.

IMG_8031.JPG

Current FTS

Photo was taken on iPhone 6. When viewing photo in album, I clicked on edit and used the "transfer" filter which removed a lot of the blue and made it look pretty decent. thought I'd pet that tip as I accidentally just stumbled across is.

IMG_8033.JPG

Back