Reef nutrition

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

How deep can these penetrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have read numbers like 300 at around 12", but we shall see.
I am getting just one at first, and will test it with a meter.
They have 80 deg lenses.
Since I am not covering 24x24, I will probably put them around 6" from water, which will help a lot.
My tank is fairly shallow at 24", and most coral is around the middle.

I measured light from a single hydra 26 HD here #111

That was with light about 12" above water.

I can't speak for the Prime, but 26HD coverage is really good, you can see my video one one light covering almost a 3' section.

For your tank, I would get 4x52HD, mount it perpendicular to tank spacing ~2' apart

Just to throw a wrench into the planning, little birdy (not that little really), that there will be a new addition to the Kessil AP line of lights. From what I could tell, it would work well for your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured light from a single hydra 26 HD here #111

That was with light about 12" above water.

I can't speak for the Prime, but 26HD coverage is really good, you can see my video one one light covering almost a 3' section.

For your tank, I would get 4x52HD, mount it perpendicular to tank spacing ~2' apart
Yes, your post was one of the reasons I was thinking of that fixture.

I thought about 4x52 in that config. The problem is, my tank is 88 inches long, so they end up spaced about 18" apart.
Not too bad, but I would expect really bright regions right under the lights, and darker in between.
Interestingly:
Total cost is almost exactly the same.
Total watts: 11*prime at 55W = 600W. 4x52 at 90W = 360W
So in theory, I get a lot more watts.

Yes, your post was one of the reasons I was thinking of that fixture.

I thought about 4x52 in that config. The problem is, my tank is 88 inches long, so they end up spaced about 18" apart.
Not too bad, but I would expect really bright regions right under the lights, and darker in between.
Interestingly:
Total cost is almost exactly the same.
Total watts: 11*prime at 55W = 600W. 4x52 at 90W = 360W
So in theory, I get a lot more watts.

11 Prime net you 11 nodes, 4x52HD get you 16 nodes :D

Isn't Prime just driving the same LED with more power?

Just to throw a wrench into the planning, little birdy (not that little really), that there will be a new addition to the Kessil AP line of lights. From what I could tell, it would work well for your setup.

Hmmmm.
I did look a bit at the old A160WE. But something new would be intriguing.

Yes, I somehow copied the 26HD to 52HD in my notes.
But the main problem with the 4x52HD is that coverage is just so uneven.
rev2_lights_4x52.jpg

Lol you guys and your light overkill, at 7"-9" spread you are looking at 200 PAR at the 24" depth.

Are you going hardcore SPS? Because you probably end up frying whatever it is on top. I'm SPS noob but I feel like it is easier to kill coral with way too much light than way too little light.

upload_2017-4-25_16-54-41.png

You do know you can turn your LEDs down right!?!

It's not about power. It's about even coverage. Also helps that having more fixtures allows you to run them at lower % and thus prolonging the useful life of the puck.

You do know you can turn your LEDs down right!?!

It's not about power. It's about even coverage. Also helps that having more fixtures allows you to run them at lower % and thus prolonging the useful life of the puck.

^^^ THIS ^^^
:)

I totally do not need 600W of LED lighting on a 240G tank. It would fry things.
In fact, that is a slight concern if the controls get messed up.
And coral can grow fine if light is not very uniform.

But me: I have a fairly uniform rock structure. Not solid, but no big gaps. So I want nice uniform coverage.

Back