Kessil

How does a BAR Frag Swap Work?

I just read about the September frag swap and with my tank being barely setup, I'm not sure I'll have any corals to trade by then.. if any in my tank at all. So my question, is there a way for a coral-less beginner like me to participate in a frag swap? Can I buy 3 frags from an LFS and take it straight to the swap or is that frowned upon?

I just read about the September frag swap and with my tank being barely setup, I'm not sure I'll have any corals to trade by then.. if any in my tank at all. So my question, is there a way for a coral-less beginner like me to participate in a frag swap? Can I buy 3 frags from an LFS and take it straight to the swap or is that frowned upon?
In the past this has been ok. However, this is sort of against the idea. We have not officially made this against the rules, and it would be hard to enforce, but it would be better not to. We want corals people are successfully growing and propagating in the swap.

In the past this has been ok. However, this is sort of against the idea. We have not officially made this against the rules, and it would be hard to enforce, but it would be better not to. We want corals people are successfully growing and propagating in the swap.

That's what I figured, scratch that idea. It's probably way late to make a suggestion to something you guys have been doing for years, but it would be cool if a beginner like me can somehow "buy into" the swap. Maybe instead of bringing 3 frags, I can buy 3 tokens, each token set at a specific dollar amount. Then others can swap for the token as an alternate to frags (some might be interested in taking home cash instead of frags, right?). Anyhow, this probably would defeat the purpose of a "frag swap" as well. If I can't bring a frag by then, I'll probably just attend to be a spectator, or volunteer. :)

That's what I figured, scratch that idea. It's probably way late to make a suggestion to something you guys have been doing for years, but it would be cool if a beginner like me can somehow "buy into" the swap. Maybe instead of bringing 3 frags, I can buy 3 tokens, each token set at a specific dollar amount. Then others can swap for the token as an alternate to frags (some might be interested in taking home cash instead of frags, right?). Anyhow, this probably would defeat the purpose of a "frag swap" as well. If I can't bring a frag by then, I'll probably just attend to be a spectator, or volunteer. :)

Remind me in September. I'll bring three extra frags for you.

Remind me in September. I'll bring three extra frags for you.
remind me to bring the toadstool for you too.

Aww man you guys are friggin awesome! I almost feel guilty getting all these freebies from this forum. Almost. lol. But seriously, thanks Bruce and Ash. Bruce I'll gladly pay you for those frags (i hope it's not against the swap rules). I'll also volunteer for the swap because it's all i can do to pay it forward at this time :)

I think the hospitality and camaraderie is one of the best things about the BAR group in general. Just remember to reciprocating it by making sure that any frags that you get from the swap or member is something that is appropriate for your setup and experience.

Btw in the past all of our sponsers that set-up and even those that didn't provided "for sale" packs for people that don't have their own packs. We've often told people to head to CA Reef, Diablo or Neptune to grab packs and the last few there have been packs already assembled in the sale tanks at the swap. Is this no longer ok?
Aww man you guys are friggin awesome! I almost feel guilty getting all these freebies from this forum. Almost. lol. But seriously, thanks Bruce and Ash. Bruce I'll gladly pay you for those frags (i hope it's not against the swap rules). I'll also volunteer for the swap because it's all i can do to pay it forward at this time :)

I don't charge for BAR members for that kind of thing.

Don’t feel guilty, just pay it forward when you are ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back