Kessil

Will's 300g Re-Do

Finally got around to installing my Mars fuge light. Holy cow...this thing is a beast!

d377dad394c8e9676e6cac479a0c5d66.jpg

d2b52da3e9f65f717a8300bdf29f1ddf.jpg

Decided to pull 2 of my 3 BTA anemones out. They had stayed put for months, but started walking around quite a bit a couple of weeks ago. I had given them quite a bit of rom away from my SPS, but after stinging my Birdsnest, it was time to go. I wonder now...I had stopped feeding them Silversides...and may be their light requirements changed, causing them to walk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decided to pull 2 of my 3 BTA anemones out. They had stayed put for months, but started walking around quite a bit a couple of weeks ago. I had given them quite a bit of rom away from my SPS, but after stinging my Birdsnest, it was time to go. I wonder now...I had stopped feeding them Silversides...and may be their light requirements changed, causing them to walk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you keeping one anemone for the sake of clownfish? Maybe time to move them on to euphyllia? The other thing that's bad about anemones moving is it moves the clownfish "territory" which can upset other fish.

Are you keeping one anemone for the sake of clownfish? Maybe time to move them on to euphyllia? The other thing that's bad about anemones moving is it moves the clownfish "territory" which can upset other fish.
Yeah, for the most part, it is for the clownfishs' sake. I do have a couple of large Euphyllia colonies but, IME, once I got the clownfish to be hosted by a frogspawn, on one occasion, they destroyed it...and the other occasion was fine. So, batting .500 there. I do also like the motion of the RBTA..but as my corals grow out, this will become more difficult. I started feeding the one that is left again to see if he will stay put.

So, two of my 3 anemones are now in new homes with fellow BAR members. I'm keeping the one for now, but he definitely likes to stretch out and his tentacles wave close by my calacali Acro.

0edeeb936201dcd19f7e2cf45e4aa538.jpg

Now my PO4 is really low, 0.01 and my nitrates have crept back up to 30. I wonder if I'm going to have issues because my nitrate:phosphate ratio is wonky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it seems like my chaeto is stalling out a bit. Could this be the Nopox dosing? But nitrates still hihg

Both chaeto and the bacteria stimulated by NOPOX require both nitrate and phosphate to grow. So when your PO4 is zero, either approach will stall. That’s why some people dose whichever of the 2 is too low if the other is too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have the opposite problem, in that my po4 is higher than my NO3. To get a po4 reading of zero what test kit are you using? The most reliable it seems is the Hanna checker. However, BRS tested the high resolution one and it wouldn't record a reading less than .08. I use the ULR PO4 Hanna checker and have had no problem which the lower readings. If in fact you are at a po4 of zero than the algae will have a had time growing and you will need to supplement as stated above. For me I am supplementing NO3, but it is hard to figure out how much is too much. By the way what I have been reading on reef2reef higher NO3 is not a big problem. Some of the best aquariums I have seen on the sight have NO3 above 20. One being Sanjay's aquarium. Also Rich Ross has very high po4 and no3.

Dick Flanagan

Both chaeto and the bacteria stimulated by NOPOX require both nitrate and phosphate to grow. So when your PO4 is zero, either approach will stall. That’s why some people dose whichever of the 2 is too low if the other is too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Makes complete sense. I guess the bacteria that chew up nitrates and phosphates do it ad different ratios?

I have the opposite problem, in that my po4 is higher than my NO3. To get a po4 reading of zero what test kit are you using? The most reliable it seems is the Hanna checker. However, BRS tested the high resolution one and it wouldn't record a reading less than .08. I use the ULR PO4 Hanna checker and have had no problem which the lower readings. If in fact you are at a po4 of zero than the algae will have a had time growing and you will need to supplement as stated above. For me I am supplementing NO3, but it is hard to figure out how much is too much. By the way what I have been reading on reef2reef higher NO3 is not a big problem. Some of the best aquariums I have seen on the sight have NO3 above 20. One being Sanjay's aquarium. Also Rich Ross has very high po4 and no3.

Dick Flanagan
I use the ULR and my last reading was at 3 ppb phosphorous. So ~0.01ppm PO4. Yes on the high nitrates. Maybe I shouldn't have mucked with them....just kept thinking that I could get better Acro growth if they were lower.

I didn't think about iron. Do you or other reefers test and dose for iron?
I just tested iron recently and despite frequent largish water changes it was totally depleted. I think macroalgae and chaeto are known to use a lot of it, and I have a lot of chaeto.

I've been blindly dosing iron :eek: (and the other three parts of the Red Sea coral colors) based off of my ca uptake. I've had good results so I'm continuing.

Well my macro is still stalled. Just sent in a sample for ICP sample analysis. We’ll see if that sheds any light.

Back