Neptune Aquatics

1100 Gallon Salt Water Aquarium System

It's a little unrealistic to expect a realtor to learn the ins-and-outs of a very large reef tank in order to sell a house. Aquariums of that size are very much a niche interest. Odds are if a seller installs a stripper pole and disco light in the dedicated "dance" room most buyers aren't going to be interested and it's going to get yanked out. Same with built in tanks.

However, that doesn't mean that advertised and marketed properly that it could sway just the right buyer. As to becoming a supporting member just to post this that's a bit unrealistic as well. This is a case of someone in the community reaching out for club help -- and frankly that's a big part of the reason we're here.

Cindy - my suggestion would be to "partner" with another professional to help if needed. There's a number of reef stores in the East Bay and I'd discuss asking the to help if you can find a buyer interested in the tank intact. They could evaluate the installation and equipment by pictures and in the event you get an interested buyer that wants to keep the tank intact they could be paid a flat fee or their hourly rate to come out and work with your buyer.

My suggestions for that would be either our President Mike -- @Coral reefer -- who runs an installation business in the city with many high end clients or our supporting store here in the East Bay Diablo Corals.

I agree with the posts above saying that it would be better to remove the tank, turn the fishroom into a closet (or bathroom), and then sell the house. Or sell as is with the understanding that the buyer will tear out the tank.

I don’t think there are many reefers who would buy a house because of the existing built in reef tank “perk.” The price of building that custom reef tank is peanuts compared to what the home will ultimately sell for. I don’t think I would spend the time or effort to try to find Reefer who would pay market rate for that home and tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if you think just under 200k is peanuts....for that system....I think that is more than peanuts......The build design and receipts are attached to the disclosures....so it really isn't a secret...at his list price it is way less than what he has put into the home...not including this improvement.

if you think just under 200k is peanuts....for that system....I think that is more than peanuts......The build design and receipts are attached to the disclosures....so it really isn't a secret...at his list price it is way less than what he has put into the home...not including this improvement.
200k for a reef tank?!?! I’d love to see the equipment, that is insane. I think 20k is the most expensive system I have heard of in a home

It's a little unrealistic to expect a realtor to learn the ins-and-outs of a very large reef tank in order to sell a house. Aquariums of that size are very much a niche interest. Odds are if a seller installs a stripper pole and disco light in the dedicated "dance" room most buyers aren't going to be interested and it's going to get yanked out. Same with built in tanks.

However, that doesn't mean that advertised and marketed properly that it could sway just the right buyer. As to becoming a supporting member just to post this that's a bit unrealistic as well. This is a case of someone in the community reaching out for club help -- and frankly that's a big part of the reason we're here.

Cindy - my suggestion would be to "partner" with another professional to help if needed. There's a number of reef stores in the East Bay and I'd discuss asking the to help if you can find a buyer interested in the tank intact. They could evaluate the installation and equipment by pictures and in the event you get an interested buyer that wants to keep the tank intact they could be paid a flat fee or their hourly rate to come out and work with your buyer.

My suggestions for that would be either our President Mike -- @Coral reefer -- who runs an installation business in the city with many high end clients or our supporting store here in the East Bay Diablo Corals.
Thank you :)

I never said it wasn’t unrealistic for a realtor to learn the ins and outs of reefing, but if I’m selling a car, doesn’t it help if I’m knowledgeable on cars? Just offering my advice

No $200k is not peanuts. Or a whole lot of peanuts...

Last edited:
No $200k is not peanuts. I don’t know why or how he spent $200k to build that tank, but I don’t think that’s what it is worth. Looks like a fish only tank with coral inserts from the photos. But that’s just my opinion. Good luck with the sale!

I was really hard to photograph the day we were there it was pouring down rain and super dark the pictures don't even look real....I will admit.....

Never said you were kidding, lol. Just stated my experience and the fact that I would love to see the equipment

again it is pretty unbelievable and it would be a shame to have to tear it out so I am reaching out to this community to try to find that one buyer.....who would love it! It clearly is an over the top improvement clearly my seller never thought he would ever leave....but here we are......doing the best I can :)

I hope it works out but would be very surprised if it did. Please let us know if you find a buyer who is willing to pay extra for the tank, it would be like a true-life Cinderella story that we would talk about for decades :)

Maybe you should ask the rest of the Warriors if any of them are interested lol.

My suggestion is find a maintenance company that will care for the tank, and sell it as a piece of art that takes no work, only money for someone else to maintain it.

Reactions: JVU
I hope it works out but would be very surprised if it did. Please let us know if you find a buyer who is willing to pay extra for the tank, it would be like a true-life Cinderella story that we would talk about for decades :)

Maybe you should ask the rest of the Warriors if any of them are interested lol.

That happens right :)

Reactions: JVU
Back