June 27 - Dick Flanagan's Luncheon
July
Aug
Sept - Silicon Valley Coral Farmer’s Market - Cancelled
Oct
Nov
Dec - Holiday Party

Last edited by a moderator:
We have lots of ideas for events, working on details. Our Members’ Swap will be early in the year, and Regional Swap will be later in the year.

See separate thread for the details on our upcoming fragging workshop, 3/21:

2020 Events planned so far, will update as new events are decided:

Jan 11 - SF Tank tour
Feb 8 - Silicon Valley Coral Farmer’s Market
Mar 21 - Fragging/Dipping workshop
Apr 18 - Member's Only Frag Swap
May - Monterrey Bay Aquarium behind the scenes tour (tentative)
June 27 - Dick Flanagan's Luncheon
July
Aug
Sept - Silicon Valley Coral Farmer’s Market
Oct
Nov
Dec - Holiday Party
I hope next CFM we do not raffle live animal to avoid sending it to homes bit suitable to house the animal

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope next CFM we do not raffle live animal to avoid sending it to homes bit suitable to house the animal

Every organization and company that sells live animals has to come to terms with that issue. When we raffle/auction corals it’s the same. Frag swap is the same. All of our LFS do the same all day long. I don’t see why that is where we make a stand personally.

The clownfish went to Josh our new Treasurer, and a very experienced aquarist, if it makes you feel better.

Every organization and company that sells live animals has to come to terms with that issue. When we raffle corals it’s the same. Frag swap is the same. All of our LFS do the same all day long. I don’t see why that is where we make a stand personally.
Fair enough. Maybe I was holding our club to higher standard than a LFS who are doing it for the money. I thought our club mission is to preserve and protect live stock.
To me raffling is worst in term of controlability than LFS who sell to hobbyists, cause at a LFS you pay full price for live stock, so I would think you might be more careful compared to getting something for fracture of the cost...there is higher chance we get too fresh ppl or someone who just set up a system, be inline for a raffle and end up with a pair of fish that die a day or 2 later.
Swap at least guarantee participation of people who keep coral, isnot that one of the rules? You should give to the swap to participate?
No worries thu, I get your point.

Cheers

Last edited:
The upcoming Members’ Frag Swap this year will be at Phuong’s clubhouse in Fremont this year. Hopefully a central location for more people.

It will be Sat, April 18, 2020- Save the date! We will start a new thread with more details.

Last edited:
Still would like to believe that someone who's trying to win say a clownfish can actually take care of a ... CLOWNFISH! That said, I never go for those in raffles because I need another clownfish like I need another hole in my head. But if we're going to be upset about the death of a couple fish to someone who can't apparently keep them, then we should go up the totem pole and be upset for all the fish that get culled off just so that those fish with "desirable" qualities are the only ones that energy is put into keeping alive.

Still would like to believe that someone who's trying to win say a clownfish can actually take care of a ... CLOWNFISH! That said, I never go for those in raffles because I need another clownfish like I need another hole in my head. But if we're going to be upset about the death of a couple fish to someone who can't apparently keep them, then we should go up the totem pole and be upset for all the fish that get culled off just so that those fish with "desirable" qualities are the only ones that energy is put into keeping alive.
Who is upset? I do not think anyone is upset;)
Forward and upward!

If we want to have a real discussion of the ethics of the live animal trade, let’s start a separate thread. Hoping to keep to discussion of 2020 events in this one :)

Other news-

We have confirmed we will be able to have a Monterey Bay Aquarium Behind-the-Scenes Tour this year (thanks to @Apon and Matt Wandell).

We were not able to have it on a weekend day this time, so we went for next best of having it on a holiday- Memorial Day, May 25, 2020. Hopefully that at least works better for more people than a regular workday.

I’ll be starting a separate thread with more details and a signup list.

Other news-

We have confirmed we will be able to have a Monterey Bay Aquarium Behind-the-Scenes Tour this year (thanks to @Apon and Matt Wandell).

We were not able to have it on a weekend day this time, so we went for next best of having it on a holiday- Memorial Day, May 25, 2020. Hopefully that at least works better for more people than a regular workday.

We’ve gotta be one of the luckiest clubs there is!

Other news-

Do we have to buy a ticket first to get in ?

Unfortunately, all 2020 BAR events are on hold until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic and associated declarations to shelter in place and avoid gatherings. The next 2 events, the fragging workshop that was planned for this upcoming weekend, and the member’s frag swap planned for April, are both canceled, hopefully to be rescheduled to later in the year. It’s too early to decide regarding the MBA tour in May, we will see how things go. Sorry everyone. Stay safe, and continue to support each other, even if only online for now.

Back