Jestersix

Arnold's tank crash - stupid power outage!

I'd start tearing the rockwork apart trying to find bodies, last thing you need is a spike in ammonia due to rotting carcasses.

You can always beat yourself up over what else you could have done, but there'd just be one more thing that possible could go wrong (logic :D)... PG&E told me my power was going down for a 4 hour window, I was prepared, I had a car inverter to run my tank off my prius (ok just a single pump) ... power happened.. plugged in... whoops pump didn't work... seems the silly modified square wave isn't compatable with pumps... luckily Target has quite a nice return policy. I think figuring out exactly what happened is probably a better bet than just getting all sorts of redundancies in place.

ok - update with the pics you guys have been waiting for. Again thanks for everyone with words of simpathy, it helps to share the grief to everyone. If my tank was SPS only I would probably quit or something, but since its a mixed reef with only about 30% sps its not a total loss.

Update - SPS that still have color -
MY 1st SPS- some brown table I got from Tyler at DPV- still loooks the same, no color loss. Weird huh
a orange digi from Tong - strange because I lost digi from him before
Leng Sy cap- little faded, not too bad
Sentosa frag - still show orange....I thought it would be gone

SPS that are hite, but I think may make it-
Orange cap
Montis
Some millis
birdnest

All others - white - including the Purple SPS that people like - ??? not good at all. See pics

All my LPS and Softies are fine, but my hammer corals are still pissed off, but the frogspawn, Peace Coral, and Elegance are ok.

I have see all but 3 of my fish, now that the water is cleaner. I think the 3 of the 5 Anthias are still hiding- but I saw the other 2 of them fighting again, and the fish are eating.

Looks like there's still tissues on them. Hoping for the best that they pull through.

Maybe consider fragging out something and have someone put it in their tanks to see if it's salvageable just in case?

Sorry to hear about your tank Arnold. I hope things pull thru. I have about 5 - 10 gallons for new SW made up if you're still catching up on water changes. Just let me know as I think I'm pretty close to you.

I was out on Divisadero and Fulton that night having dinner and drinks and the power went out a couple times. I guess I had a couple too many sake drinks because I never thought about my tank.

Kelby

Thanks - I am ok with water now. about 100 gallons change out so far.

I am going to frag, don't think it will make any difference now. good thing I know people out there have some of my frags so they maybe back someday.

Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! hope that is true for corals too.

Arnold,

This might sound strange, but do you want to participate in a little experiment? If you have a QT/frag tank set up would you be willing to move a few of your bleached frags to it and start dosing ascorbic acid (vitamin C)? There are studies that suggest that as a antioxidant ascorbic acid increases the oxidative potential at the cellular level in corals and it also stimulates the production of collagen. I have a hypothesis that supplemented ascorbic acid will protect the corals bleached tissue from further stress due to oxidation and also promote the repopulation of zoox. If this is true, supplementing ascorbic acid might speed up the re-coloring of your corals and therefore their recovery. I know this is a strange request, but I was hoping it might be a good opportunity learn more about recovering bleached corals.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5077.msg62786#msg62786 date=1226026136]
Those are very sad pics :( .. I love that hammer.. Hopefully it's just upset.. it looks bad :'(.
[/quote]

+1

I envy your candor Arnold when it comes to the moment to moment updates, I'd be hiding in my little hobbit cave crying if I were you.

Just an FYI. If anyone is ever in an emergency I have a 900g tank of water typically mixed up (with Reef Crystals) and warm at any given time. I typically never let it below about 400g. So feel free to email me and come on over and load up what ever you need. I am just located over in San Ramon. I can be reached at chris /at/ missingpacket dot com

Thanks Chris

Wow, thanks for offering that. What size of a tank do you have that you have that much water made up at all times?

I have 3 tanks. I 55g in my home office with a pair of clown, a 220g SPS system and a 600g FOWLR system. The 600g has a 300g sump and 240g fuge. I found this 900g mix up tank a few years back on CL and figured it would make a great water change tank. So I built a bump out on my shed (the "pump house" for the 600g tank) and insulated the thing like crazy and it works great. I can water change 200g out of my FOWLR system in less than 2 minutes now, that includes draining and refilling :)

IMG_1236.jpg

I still need to paint the bump out and figure out a lift system for the roof but it works great. Its really nice to have that type water ready just incase I ever have a crash.

Back