Kessil

Baby Trochus Snail

@Alexx @wcfish21 @ryanraff @Mason

Hey all,

Just checking to see where everyone is located. Family thing came up and I ended up flying to Oregon instead of driving. I won't be heading up on Saturday like I had planned. However I'd love to do a bay area coral cruise sometime soon. If I can get that planned I'd love to distribute some baby snails to you all.
I'm out in Livermore. I'm pretty flexible as far as meeting somewhere like Neptunes or something.

@Alexx @wcfish21 @ryanraff @Mason

Hey all,

Just checking to see where everyone is located. Family thing came up and I ended up flying to Oregon instead of driving. I won't be heading up on Saturday like I had planned. However I'd love to do a bay area coral cruise sometime soon. If I can get that planned I'd love to distribute some baby snails to you all.
I am in San Francisco area. I just saw you are in Pacific Grove, super far away from SF. I guess you can pass them along to other ppl. Pretty sure I wont be able to get in that area any time soon :D

Just curious, how long did it take for them grow to say, 1/8 inch in diameter ? I'm asking because I think I have a bunch of babies in my tank, but they are so small :)

@1NC0GNIT0 made a journal update.

aad81d5cb5cc9bff37674d76ea8a2eaf

1NC0GNIT0 said:
They are doing very well!

Glad to see these guys are still out there living it up! I believe that my numbers have dwindled down into the 30s. Haven't taken a census in a while. Living in a fluval 13.5, these guys kept going through the overflow and getting stuck in the filter material and perishing. They are finally big enough they don't fit through the slits. Now the only threat is our big hermit that gets the need for fresh snail from time to time.

Sorry to not give any updates for the last 8 months or so... Fire season picked up in July; I was pretty much gone from the end of July through the middle of September. Then the hobby got put on the back burner. Tank is still going strong. I might be able to part with some more of these, let me count tomorrow.

Reactions: JVU
Just curious, how long did it take for them grow to say, 1/8 inch in diameter ? I'm asking because I think I have a bunch of babies in my tank, but they are so small :)
Maybe a couple months? They started off really really tiny.

Edit: I started my tank in March. Probably noticed the babies in May. Posted the DBTC at the start of June. So they grow quite a bit in that first month to month and a half.

Over the last year the snails have grown to about half their adult size. Since they are bigger I am making 5 "frags" available of 3 or 4 snails each. I have to do a trochus census to see what their actual count is. I'd guess I have about 30 left.

I will try to make a trip up to the bay in the next few weeks in order to distribute them. I will reach out to those that requested a frag to see if you are still interested. All of this is of course dependent on whether or not California decides to burn.

Back