Reef nutrition

DBTC: Palau Nephthea

Randy -- thanks again for the frag. Unfortunately, I just notice the nepthea breaking apart as if something ate it from the core...

You can see in the pic, the top fell over and there's a big hole in the trunk

Have you (or any one with similar softie) seen this before? I have a Kenya tree(s) that huge and doing well... so baffled.

Any ideas?
a1efb1f4480a21f00883910a2d45bfcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Randy -- thanks again for the frag. Unfortunately, I just notice the nepthea breaking apart as if something ate it from the core...

You can see in the pic, the top fell over and there's a big hole in the trunk

Have you (or any one with similar softie) seen this before? I have a Kenya tree(s) that huge and doing well... so baffled.

Any ideas?
a1efb1f4480a21f00883910a2d45bfcc.jpg

No idea. I've never seen that before. Was it like that when you got it from me? I don't recall it being like that. Do I need to start scouring for pests?

It looked fine but a bit shrivelled by time I got it home... so assumed stress...

I saw some brown on it just earlier and blew it with a Turkey baster...and the whole top just came off showing the crater inside.

First time I've ever seen this so wondering if this is normal reaction for these things or something else... the remaining parts look like they're trying to heal now

Will keep you posted but may be worth keeping an eye on your system in case

It looked fine but a bit shrivelled by time I got it home... so assumed stress...

I saw some brown on it just earlier and blew it with a Turkey baster...and the whole top just came off showing the crater inside.

First time I've ever seen this so wondering if this is normal reaction for these things or something else... the remaining parts look like they're trying to heal now

Shriveled is okay; it has done that when the lights go down pretty much every day for the last two years.

The crater is weird, but maybe it didn't attach to the rock very well. Usually takes about two weeks to attach, but sometimes it doesn't do it right. I cut this one about three weeks ago. As long as the top part is okay, put it on a rock and rubber band it again.

The head is black. . Don't think it's gonna make it. The foot looks ok so will probably regrown

So odd. It looked ok when you grabbed it. I'll keep an eye on the mother colony that was right next to that frag.

Anyone else that has a frag see any similar issues?

Last edited:
I have two frags as well. I'll be at the swap if anyone wants one. Let me know before the swap, otherwise they'll be going into the swap pool.

I’m still interested if one is available. I live near Bruce and could pick it up from him if that works out.

Back