Kessil

Flow and water clarity

I have two MP60 on my 48x30 tank, running at 45%. Is it too much flow? Also how do you keep your tank crystal clear?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 236
I have 2 powerheads running at almost 80% intermittent and a Gyre 3k in my 120, so I don't think it's too much flow ... I may have a little more rockwork though. Nothing else but skimmer and sock, and I have perfect clarity

Flow seems ok, but hard to tell from a picture.
Feed some flakes to check it out how things swirl around.

Are you sure you need crystal clear water? It is not normally noticeable until you get to big tanks.
UV, Carbon, Ozone.

Are you sure you need crystal clear water? It is not normally noticeable until you get to big tanks.
UV, Carbon, Ozone.
If you have time, can you swing by? You will see what I mean in person, pictures can not capture much. I have a lot of particle small stuff flowng around. I hope it will be better when tank more mature.

If you have time, can you swing by? You will see what I mean in person, pictures can not capture much. I have a lot of particle small stuff flowng around. I hope it will be better when tank more mature.
Sure, perhaps next weekend.

UV, Carbon, Ozone.
hah -- my water glows greenish yellow under actinics... extra coral food i suppose

Zeovit have a product called coral snow, crystal clear water withen 30min of using it.
Also use disposable filter pads instead of socks convenient and effective...
It will treat yellow water, unwated aminoacids after food leftover decay that end up being suspended in the water..
Etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Given you have BB and unless you have nutrients (food) debris in the water column, you might be dealing with slight bacterial bloom. If that was the case UV will fix it.
Depend on the source solution will vary ofcourse

Last edited:
What’s the return pump flow like? You can suspend stuff in the water column for a long time and prevent it settling on the bottom, but you do need some flow through the tank from your return pump to actually get stuff into the overflow.

Given you have BB and unless you have nutrients (food) debris in the water column, you might be dealing with slight bacterial bloom. If that was the case UV will fix it.
Depend on the source solution will vary ofcourse

My thoughts exactly

In most cases uv and ozone should not be necessary.

How old is the tank? How much you feeding? What are you dosing?

Sponges/lots of healthy live rock, and don’t ever add live phytoplankton to your reef unless you have a UV filter.
Question - what are risks of live phyto? It could be contaminated or will reproduce? Are you saying live zooplankton (rotifers, pods, artemia) are not risky?

Question - what are risks of live phyto? It could be contaminated or will reproduce? Are you saying live zooplankton (rotifers, pods, artemia) are not risky?
I feed live phytos 3 times a week and phyto feast 4 times a week. I did not observe negative impact
Just last week I stopped cause I added the easy reef..

Based on two recent threads I have been thinking about bacteria and nutrients a lot. I have thought for a long time that what is missing from tank water is all the plankton in the water column found in the ocean. I thought we should be having water flow thru a live phyto reactor or something to keep it rich with plankton, which would provide foundation of healthy food web/nitrogen cycle. But the ocean does not have low pressure pumps that I expect would make the plankton burst and die and we have no way to deal with the plankton die off. Is this why live phyto is not a great idea?

Back