Jestersix

Generator

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
What's a decent and quiet generator that's easy to operate? Preferably not overly expensive. Global warming and CA fires and heat are only going to get worse. Time to prepare.

Best of the best? Honda probably. If you're on a budget the 1600 watt Wen model has worked well for me. Amazon for $399 last I checked.

I would look into the dual fuel ones, so you can use either gasoline or propane. I have the wen for 3 years, and its great. Only issue is gasoline gets gummy after a few months, so you need a fuel stabilizer. Even then it isn't perfect, so I end up running it with the choke on to get it to run. I really just need to clean the carbonator.

I would look into the dual fuel ones, so you can use either gasoline or propane. I have the wen for 3 years, and its great. Only issue is gasoline gets gummy after a few months, so you need a fuel stabilizer. Even then it isn't perfect, so I end up running it with the choke on to get it to run. I really just need to clean the carbonator.
I need one I don't have to worry about gummy gas or cleaning carburetors. I will never actually do that.

I need one I don't have to worry about gummy gas or cleaning carburetors. I will never actually do that.
Cleaning the carb has been on my to do list for almost 2 years now, I'll get to it any day :)

I ended up buying the yellow dual fuel one from home depot and it's still in the box, but lets hope it can stay there.

I have a dual fuel (Gas + Propane) 120V generator. It works well but if I was to buy another one, I'd get one of the 240V tri-fuel one from Costco.
- Trifuel (Natural gas, really, I wouldn't mind gas + natural gas) means that I can most likely get unlimited gas directly from my natural gas BBQ stub (Or pool heater, you get the idea).
- 240V means you can (but aren't allowed to) plug the generator in a 240V receptacle inside your house like a dryer plug and you can power your whole house. The proper way to do this is a transfer switch but in a pinch, turning off the main breaker and using the dryer outlet works.

I have a dual fuel (Gas + Propane) 120V generator. It works well but if I was to buy another one, I'd get one of the 240V tri-fuel one from Costco.
- Trifuel (Natural gas, really, I wouldn't mind gas + natural gas) means that I can most likely get unlimited gas directly from my natural gas BBQ stub (Or pool heater, you get the idea).
- 240V means you can (but aren't allowed to) plug the generator in a 240V receptacle inside your house like a dryer plug and you can power your whole house. The proper way to do this is a transfer switch but in a pinch, turning off the main breaker and using the dryer outlet works.
Why would I ever care if I needed one more type of fuel? I'm not a survivalist thinking I'll need to be rooting through the ruins of the city.

Why would I ever care if I needed one more type of fuel? I'm not a survivalist thinking I'll need to be rooting through the ruins of the city.
I wasn't suggesting you prepare for the apocalypse or scavenge through city ruins to find fuel...
Multi-Fuel is for convenience. All portable generators you'll find on the market will either support gas (for cars) or propane. If you think you'll be without power for more than 12 hours and don't want to store more than 5 gallons of gas at your house, natural gas is quick and simple. You just hook up your generator to your PG&E gas stub and you can run it for as long as you want.
When there's no power, gas stations tend to not operate.

I got the dual fuel one too from Costco. The reason I decided on this option was I could just use one of my propane tanks I already have. . In the event I needed to use gas I have a gas container ready. to get fuel.

Check out the Harbor Freight ones. Essentially Honda copies. I have a Honda EU2000i.

How long do they actually run off a propane tank?

It seems like hooking them up to a natural gas line would be the only viable option for extended use during a power outage. Emphasis on power outage; if there was a major disaster -- earthquake, wildfire, etc I'd expect gas lines to be turned off.

How long do they actually run off a propane tank?

It seems like hooking them up to a natural gas line would be the only viable option for extended use during a power outage. Emphasis on power outage; if there was a major disaster -- earthquake, wildfire, etc I'd expect gas lines to be turned off.
I think around four hours but don't quote me. It's also depends on the load. So I have two tank propane tanks filled

Yes, my main use case is for transmission lines far away being affected by the wildfire. I've had several power outages, rotations, etc in the Bay Area but never a gas interruption. If there's an earthquake where I live, I do expect natural gas to be shut off as well.

As for along long they run on a propane tank, it depends on the generator efficiency and how much power you're drawing. For example, this generator: https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100401-3500-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

It can run for 10.5 hours on propane if your load is 1,500W (12 amps?). Note that this is for a FULL 20lbs propane tank. The tank exchange you get at Lowes, etc are filled to 15lbs to save on cost, which brings your runtime to under 8 hours.

Back