got ethical husbandry?

Generator

have you thought about using large battery backups?

have you thought about using large battery backups?

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense if there's a chance that an outage could go for a few days.

Since you are in Elk Grove, your aquarium heaters probably rarely turn on during the summer :)

I would make sure that it is an INVERTER generator if you plan on connecting sensitive electronic equipment. I have a 2200Watt generator and have used it a couple of times during the shutoffs. It will power my fridge, my aquarium setup ( 2 small tanks), computers/wifi, and a TV. Just make sure you have a a gas can that holds a couple of gallons. BTW, make sure you use some fuel stabilizer and a magnetic oil plug would help to get rid of the initial metal shavings in the oil.

I would make sure that it is an INVERTER generator
From my understanding, this is no longer true for the majority of our appliances. Most electronic appliances now use switching power supplies, which are way better at converting bad AC to DC. Linear power supplies were very prone to breakage when generators emitted square waves or bad sine waves. CRT TVs were also expecting a nice since wave since they didn't convert AC to DC for the electromagnet. I took a look around the equipment I have for the tank and it's either using a switching power supply or it's something where the sine wave form doesn't matter (A heater, chiller). If you have AC pumps, that's the only thing that might be affected by a bad generator and the side effect is usually excess heat since it's not running at peak efficiency.

My cheap Champion generator produces a modified sine wave that looks like a jagged sine wave. The RMS is the same as a real sine wave (120V) and the frequency is also at 60hz.

This is an article I found that explain it better than I can.

Back