Kessil

History of BAR Speakers

lattehiatus

Past President
BAR has been graced by many wonderful speakers over the years. There have been well-known personalities, both local and those who have traveled far and wide, and there have also been our own members who gave a talk to the club, drawing on their own body of knowledge and experience.

Please take a look at the attachment to see who has been a speaker at a BAR event. We are very fortunate to have had so many great speakers, and look forward to learning from many more!

Attachments

• History of BAR Speakers 2012-11-07.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
I'll second the thanks for the list. As a 'new' guy, it gives me some historical perspective.

What happened to Tal and Rich's BAP talks? Weren't they good enough to be listed??? ;)

aqua-nut said:
What happened to Tal and Rich's BAP talks? Weren't they good enough to be listed??? ;)

LOL they didn't make the cut! :p

There were several working versions of the document, some more up-to-date than others. The correct one is now attached to the OP. Thanks for the catch!

I spoke to the club about our Ofu Island project when it met at Tropical Paradise, Eddie Hanson's shop. That might have been in 2004 or 2005.

Jonathan, you sure you spoke to BAR and not BARE, the club the proceeded BAR but fell apart and all but the pres went onto BAR?

Nice David!
Our old forum still exists, http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=593.0 but anything older than 2005 was posted on the RC forum.

RR

Thales said:
Nice David!
Our old forum still exists, http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=593.0 but anything older than 2005 was posted on the RC forum.

RR

When was the split? My brain is foggy

Crabby said:
I spoke to the club about our Ofu Island project when it met at Tropical Paradise, Eddie Hanson's shop. That might have been in 2004 or 2005.

I think it was early-mid 2005, but I'm not 100% certain. Could have been pre-merger. I don't know.
Rich Ross, Jim Adelberg and other usual suspects were there. So maybe they remember....? 2 kids and way too much to do has left my memory hazy, so if anyone else remembers, pipe up!

By the way, I think it's totally cool that the club is taking a "historical" interest. Doing so reinforces the solidity of the organization.

BAYMAC said:
Thales said:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418632

No no no.... BAR/BARE split. It was well before 08.

Ah - april 2004 I believe.
archive.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-359144.html

You want drama - oh man there was drama. Was a crazy time.

Hehe, I remember that, I actually joined RC Jan of that year, didn't want anything to do with BARE though from what I was seeing, BAR formed, still didn't want anything to do with a club, although I think some early members (maybe it was Jim) convinced me, now unfortunately you got stuck with me.

edit: holy crap didn't realize I even posted something to that effect in the thread *cackle*

Out of curiosity was that big sand order ever fulfilled? :D

Crabby said:
Crabby said:

I think it was early-mid 2005, but I'm not 100% certain. Could have been pre-merger. I don't know.
Rich Ross, Jim Adelberg and other usual suspects were there. So maybe they remember....? 2 kids and way too much to do has left my memory hazy, so if anyone else remembers, pipe up!

By the way, I think it's totally cool that the club is taking a "historical" interest. Doing so reinforces the solidity of the organization.

I was there as well, but like you, the non useful info was purged to make room for useful info :lol:

Thales said:
BAYMAC said:
Thales said:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418632

No no no.... BAR/BARE split. It was well before 08.

Ah - april 2004 I believe.
archive.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-359144.html

You want drama - oh man there was drama. Was a crazy time.

Oh right, I was full swing at Cortez at the time, and IBTH :lol:

The big sand order was never fulfilled.
I read some other early early drama - the first Treasurer didn't do anything. Jim and I worked with him for 6 months and he kept saying he would do the work, but he didn't and when we staring down the first Taxes, we asked him to stop being Treasurer and instead be an AOL. He took that as being fired and went way nutty spreading stories and making trouble for the club for another 6 months to a year. It was so odd - 'Hey you still aren't doing the job that you signed up for that really needs to be done, so no worries, we'll take you off that and you can do the stuff you are actually doing' was met with 'I was fired from the BOD'. :D

sfsuphysics said:
Hehe, I remember that, I actually joined RC Jan of that year, didn't want anything to do with BARE though from what I was seeing, BAR formed, still didn't want anything to do with a club, although I think some early members (maybe it was Jim) convinced me, now unfortunately you got stuck with me.

edit: holy crap didn't realize I even posted something to that effect in the thread *cackle*

Out of curiosity was that big sand order ever fulfilled? :D

sfsuphysics said:
Thanks Boomer & Charger... btw anyone who considers Sacramento as part of the bay area needs to be shot, along with those who live in Tracy and thing they are in commute distance to SF for work!

Hey now... I had this exact same comment a few years back when making our LFS map :lol:

Back