Kessil

History of BAR Speakers

Gomer said:
I image-searched "Bar Drama" on google. Interesting results!

Drama ranks high in this bar graph! :bigsmile:
television_viewing_by_type3.png

Source: http://sumari1.wordpress.com/tag/math/

IME drama blown out of proportion typically occurs as a result of misalignment of expectations. It's easy to sidestep drama if all parties are able to put their egos aside and see things from the others' points-of-view, but that's also usually easier said than done.

Most drama I have seen in the clubs I have been in, are a result of powerplays+ego and usually center around 1 or 2 people. Except in Novelas :p

denzil said:
I'm sorry but drama is a part of life. It's not a matter of escaping it but rather how well you handle/minimize it. You're only fooling yourself if you honestly think you're escaping it.

I think Bob has his share of drama. ;)

Whether its dealing with kids, mortgage, bills, significant others, ex's, work, etc. this hobby should be a way to get away from all that. Unfortunately, when it comes to clubs there are egos, folks who think clubs should be run a certain way, s#*t disturbers, etcetera. that get in the way.

This thread is a great read ... kinda gives one the picture of the tribal "elders*" sitting around the campfire recanting tales of past sacrifices, heroics, opportunities, and experiences to the "young-uns*" of the tribe!

* Disclaimer .... "elders" and "young-uns" may not specifically correspond directly to "earth-years" :)

gimmito said:
denzil said:
I'm sorry but drama is a part of life. It's not a matter of escaping it but rather how well you handle/minimize it. You're only fooling yourself if you honestly think you're escaping it.

I think Bob has his share drama. Whether its dealing with kids, mortgage, bills, significant others, ex's, work, etc. this hobby should be a way to get away from all that. Unfortunately, when it comes to clubs there are egos, folks who think clubs should be run a certain way, s#*t disturbers, etcetera. that get in the way.

Yep, it's just a matter of everyone containing/controlling it and not letting it get the best of us. :)

The way I see it, although BAR was born amidst dramatic flames and the ashes of another club, the mission statement of the club tends to attract members that are very generous in sharing their expertise, time, and resources with the broader community. I believe that it is this culture of generosity that makes BAR more resilient to upheaval - at the end of the day we can all recognize that it's about elevating the state of the hobby and put our egos aside.

Sorry about that, guys. We lost some attachments and photos with the transition to Xenforo as the forum platform.

The original file has been re-uploaded. It still needs to be updated with the speakers from this year.

Back