got ethical husbandry?

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

After 10 day vacation:

Current Parameters:

pH 8.1
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.792
Ca 530
Mag 1710 (Never have dosed. Always been >1500)
Phosphate 0

- Dosing change from 15mL of Calcium Carbonate a day to 10mL.
- Lost multi-color and bicolor frogspawn and NYK torch.
- Will do a 20% WC tomorrow.

Still running any phosphate reducing media? Also how are the nitrates? Might be too clean for some corals.

Also what salt mix are you using? I really don't get how your magnesium is always so high.

If you have really low alk/Ca consumption by your corals, maybe just stop dosing two part and switch to kalkwasser to simplify and raise pH.

Still running any phosphate reducing media? Also how are the nitrates? Might be too clean for some corals.

Also what salt mix are you using? I really don't get how your magnesium is always so high.

If you have really low alk/Ca consumption by your corals, maybe just stop dosing two part and switch to kalkwasser to simplify and raise pH.
I have had high mag with kalk and with 2 part dosing. I use Reef Crystal's salt from Instant Ocean. I have an old bag of Phosphate remover that I left in the sump. Can that cause high mag?

Well the zero phosphate is likely from that bag still being active. Might want to remove it to get it back up to make the corals happier.

LOTS of updates since early May.
- Move yellowtail wrasse and clowns to 65g. 1 clown died somehow
- Copperband bought but never ate.
- Battled algae again (high phosphate)
- Having difficulty with 2 part dosing. Huge Alk swings. Trying to be more diligent with regular testing.

- Bought a Hanna phosphate tester. 0.53
- bought reactor and GFO

- Still trying to switch lights to AI Blades. Pics to come. Not happy with AI but fits my needs best. Will mount to top of canopy. Concerned about potential overheating issues.

1000001762.jpg
1000001763.jpg

Did you give up on kalk? I still think that alone is the easiest way to control things and keep mineral ratios balanced if you don't have much demand. Sometimes helps to reduce complexity to the bare minimum when you don't have time to test every day: (bigger water changes, heater, return, 2 circulation pumps, skimmer, lights, and kalk + peristaltic pump calibrated to your evaporation rate).

Tank seems to be maturing well though! I'd probably consider mounting the blades so they're not touching the wood since the top metal part is how they passively dissipate heat. Then you can find a fan solution to blow over them or work as an exhaust fan.

Implementation of Apex A3, DOS, and Trident successful. Really enjoying the stability and peace of mind. Will continue to selftest weekly for a while then maybe biweekly.

Tank looks healthier than ever after now. Dosed chemiclean for some red cyano after my last alk swing about a month ago. Skimmer still crazy did a 20% water change.

Very happy with Trident/Apex, but dang, the Trident position requirements were more than I expected. It is sitting within 4', level, and at sample tube height (more or less)!

Still waiting on AI to send me a non defective AI Blade. They have been trying since early May! I hate the customer service. If I ever find them at an expo, I know all their names now!

1000001965.jpg
1000002077.jpg

Birdsnest and an Acro bleached overnight. No change in parameters or Trident dosing. Just added new coral from the CFM with minimal superglue.

Alk 8.76
CA 430
Phosphate 0.10
Mag 1420

1000002241.jpg

Back