Jestersix

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

20231125_094834.jpg

received_2692999840853580.jpeg

Added these guys at like 9pm at night after a long acclimation period. Had lights out. Woke up to the CBB looking like this. Is it possible that this baby tang beat him up overnight or he just didn't do well over the course of the day being pre-bagged at AC?

I did a short observation with no hostility before I went to bed last night.

Should always have something to hide in for multiple fish in an acclimation box like a piece of PVC tube.

Being prebagged is always a gamble too since you don't know how long it's been in there and if it's been eating. Highly recommend getting pre conditioned and QT'ed fish. The extra cost upfront will reduce the number of deaths.

Fish likely would have died with whomever else got it. Hopefully a learning experience for others in the club so thanks for showing the result. Important to see these animals as not a commodity but an attempt to at least give them a longer life than in the wild.

Sorry about your loss. Purchased 1 @ AC and had the exact same experience (Next morning was in Fish Heaven). If you decide to go this route and still want at CBB, purchase QT. Went that method this time around and mine is a fatty, always following me around the tank thinking it's time to eat.

No luck with CBB, but everything else at AC is Great

Last edited:
I've had a ton of tanks in my time, and serviced that many more.... I can count my success with CBB on 1 hand. The CoC (chain of custody) is very hard on them.
The Aussie ones are def better and never are cyanide caught too. I think that's where all the Quality Marine ones come from.

not to go off topic and no offense, but in my experience - all my fish i buy from are from AC has 90% survivability rate. i dont qt or do any httm methods; i simply temp acclimate, drop them in an acclimation box, and observe for a few days. i did too pick up a cbb from ac door buster and its doing fine so far - even eating mysis. ac recently sold it at 24.99 at their door buster sale, do you know how much HTA sells a cbb fully qt for? ill let you its 12x more ($300). if you ask me, ill take my risk and try 25 vs 300 any day.

in the end, both are good lfs for us and there's not need to knock one or another since we are here to support our lfs. robert at neptunes is also an awesome store. i have known all of them for many years and i cant tell you which one is better - each one has their own specialty that we want in the hobby.

Yeah sorry my intention was not to knock AC, I spend plenty of money there. It's a great shop. I love Neptune too.

And yes, I know exactly what Kenny sells his fish for, I've stocked my entire tank with them. :) We're super lucky to have a local QT vendor, especially one that's an active member of the community and a contributor to these very forums. It's a crime not to support his shop, IMO, and I'll always chime in whenever I see people struggling with fish.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry my intention was not to knock AC, I spend plenty of money there. It's a great shop. I love Neptune too.

And yes, I know exactly what Kenny sells his fish for, I've stocked my entire tank with them. :) We're super lucky to have a local QT vendor, especially one that's an active member of the community and a contributor to these very forums. It's a crime not to support his shop, IMO, and I'll always chime in whenever I see people struggling with fish.
@jhuynh ya man I do sell them for $300, the reason I do that is because I baby these fish during qt, I get them eating, I get them fully conditioned to people, other fish, hands in the tanks, etc. not to mention a fully quarantine them! I also get mine caught without cyanide which is the biggest downfall with these fish is cyanide! I pay way more than $25 for them because of where I source them. I also take the losses on ones I can not get to eat! The end result when buying a copperband from me is you get a fat, healthy, fully quarantined, fully conditioned , eating copperband. Buying one from me takes 90% of the risk away, the other 10% is adding them to the display tank and praying that nobody stresses them out or bullies them, then they stop eating. It’s unfortunate for these fish that are one of the most lost fish in this industry to be sold and bought like they are a disposable toy. This is why I do what I do, I love and care about these animals way too much! Ya so I don’t think $300 sounds so bad. I honestly wish they would ban imports of copperbands from the Philippines. They all come in cyanide caught, and these fish with there digestive system compromised due to cyanide do not last unfortunately. Pretty soon there won’t be anymore coming from that region. There’s my 2 cents

@jhuynh ya man I do sell them for $300, the reason I do that is because I baby these fish during qt, I get them eating, I get them fully conditioned to people, other fish, hands in the tanks, etc. not to mention a fully quarantine them! I also get mine caught without cyanide which is the biggest downfall with these fish is cyanide! I pay way more than $25 for them because of where I source them. I also take the losses on ones I can not get to eat! The end result when buying a copperband from me is you get a fat, healthy, fully quarantined, fully conditioned , eating copperband. Buying one from me takes 90% of the risk away, the other 10% is adding them to the display tank and praying that nobody stresses them out or bullies them, then they stop eating. It’s unfortunate for these fish that are one of the most lost fish in this industry to be sold and bought like they are a disposable toy. This is why I do what I do, I love and care about these animals way too much! Ya so I don’t think $300 sounds so bad. I honestly wish they would ban imports of copperbands from the Philippines. They all come in cyanide caught, and these fish with there digestive system compromised due to cyanide do not last unfortunately. Pretty soon there won’t be anymore coming from that region. There’s my 2 cents
thanks Kenny for the run down. I known quite well of the process and procedures you do. don't get the wrong way, my comment wasn't targeting or implying anything to you. only added my opinion with the previous comment with the low survivability rates.

Last edited:
Back