Neptune Aquatics

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

Dipped everything but my new clam. Definitely got water in the tank with that bag
I think I meant the opposite of what you might've interpreted. I meant any chance you didn't rinse the dip off well and got dip into the tank?

I've had issues in the past correlated with getting new corals, and I eventually assumed it was related to not doing a thorough enough rinse after dip. I started doing a more rigorous rinse process, and I haven't had that issue recently. However it might've been one of the 500 other things I do differently as well, including being more careful about the fresh saltwater's I'd be adding as part of offsetting the dips.

Regarding the clam, yeah, that's tricky. For my clam I went the route of doing a soak in a separate thing of tank water before adding it.

I think I meant the opposite of what you might've interpreted. I meant any chance you didn't rinse the dip off well and got dip into the tank?

I've had issues in the past correlated with getting new corals, and I eventually assumed it was related to not doing a thorough enough rinse after dip. I started doing a more rigorous rinse process, and I haven't had that issue recently. However it might've been one of the 500 other things I do differently as well, including being more careful about the fresh saltwater's I'd be adding as part of offsetting the dips.

Regarding the clam, yeah, that's tricky. For my clam I went the route of doing a soak in a separate thing of tank water before adding it.
I am pretty strict with my dip/rinse process. But I did a very small rinse this time because I was lazy. Just a coffee cup full of tank water. I didn't think that a little dip dilute in the tank would show very much. I am starting to see the next coral go now
1000002251.jpg
1000002250.jpg

Highly recommend James Fatheree's clam book @Matthew Meyer . I'm up to almost a year now with my maxima, which is by far the longest I've been able to keep one in the post metal halide era.

The book dispels a lot of myths that lead to the lack of success people have had with clams in general. In short, it's a maxima or crocea, have it in a flat rock cradle, minimum 250 PAR, and leave it alone. Always use the rock to move it if you have to to protect the byssal organ.

Get some fresh carbon in there if you think some dip infiltrated your display. Also double check your salinity next time you go to the LFS just in case. Maybe grab the club's calibration thermometer if you want to verify your probes.

I am pretty strict with my dip/rinse process. But I did a very small rinse this time because I was lazy. Just a coffee cup full of tank water. I didn't think that a little dip dilute in the tank would show very much. I am starting to see the next coral go nowView attachment 49896View attachment 49897

Sympathies. Frustrating situation I think. I'd second adding some well cleaned carbon. Hopefully case it catches something weird in the tank. Dip related or not.

A water change with well calibrated water also rarely seems to hurt.

I think the right thing to do would be a lancet decompression. But i'm unwilling to do that. It doesn't affect his day to day life. He is a pretty happy fish

It sure looks like its struggling to me, and struggling to me doesn't equate happy. I'd look for someone to help you locally if you're not willing to do what's needed.

It sure looks like its struggling to me, and struggling to me doesn't equate happy. I'd look for someone to help you locally if you're not willing to do what's needed.
If you have a less invasive solution I am open to try something, but there wont be any invasive procedures done.

If you have a less invasive solution I am open to try something, but there wont be any invasive procedures done.
I'd post to humble fish and see what they think as the fish experts there. It might be as simple as using Epsom salts, mushed peas, or more fiber in food. But it looks like it's really struggling to stay afloat

Back