Kessil

New to me Reefer 250

Found the best way to look at my tank. Blue blockers!

f731deed0f685b34961ca4a095d30f19.jpg

Algae scrubber and co2 scrubber are just dialed in perfect.

Algae scrubber keeps my po4 at .06 and nitrates near zero all while feeding 7 times a day.

Co2 scrubber keeps ph 8.25-8.55 depending on how many people are in the house.

My corals were getting blasted by the MP40’s so I had to switch to Gyres. I had basically needed to move the MP’s right next to the front glass and had dead zones

The gyres should give me at least another year or two of growth before they blast the corals.

I went with 2 gyre xf330’s and the icv6 to control them. Currently using the 24 hour lunar setting at 60%

Man, your zoa's (and the rest of the tank) look great! What do feel is key to having those zoa's grow into such nice colony's? The heavy feeding, light, all the above?

Probably all the above. The overdosing of food and aminos combined with tons of flow and nutrient export really helps.

I’d never be able to feed as much as I do without the massive skimmer and algae scrubber.

Honestly though, I feel like it’s a lot of luck as well.

Do you ever feel like heavy feeding with heavy nutrient export is just wasteful? How much of your food (percentage wise) do you think gets eaten; by fish, corals, and cuc?

Do you ever feel like heavy feeding with heavy nutrient export is just wasteful? How much of your food (percentage wise) do you think gets eaten; by fish, corals, and cuc?
I feed heavy and heavy nutrient exports. I also have 20 something fish in 200g.

I feel like I spend a lot of money and time exporting nutrients. 50g water changes every few weeks, No3-Po4X dosing, big skimmer and refugium.

The corals like to eat the stuff. Don't know if it makes that big of a difference.

Before the recent neglect problems, I was fragging enough to break even.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

I feel like having nutrients always available for the corals is a good thing. My thought is to always have food available so that nothing ever starves.

I’d much rather waste a bit of money on food then starve things in the tank and not get any growth.

I have 10 fish in a system with only 50 gallons of water in it. All of the large pieces of food get eaten, and the ones that don’t get eaten by my two cleaner shrimps or by the massive army of mini brittle stars I have.

All the little bits get sucked up by the corals and sponge in the tank.

Whatever is left is exported by the skimmer and scrubber.

It’s a balance. I only spend maybe $10 per month on food max.

All I’m saying is that this is by far the best growing tank I’ve ever had, and the only one I’ve ever fed more than once a day.

And I only do water changes maybe once a month anymore. Probably going to make it two months depending on what the ICP test I’m going to do says

Last edited:
Back