Reef nutrition

[Nov 8, 2014] Members Only Mini Frag Swap (Hayward, CA)

We're excited to announce BAR's first ever (Supporting) Members only mini frag swap in November. If you're excited about a mini frag swap but unsure of what it is, continue reading on!

Mini Frag Swap format (courtesy of @rygh) with some modifications:
  • Bring one frag (we won't discourage more than one)
  • Your name will be written in the order of your arrival at the mini swap location (get there early!)
  • Your name will not be written on the list until you have approval of properly labeled frags by a coral checker or BOD member (look at Requirements below)
  • Get your frag(s) on the table (no coral checkers, we rely on your honesty/responsibility here)
  • No previewing allowed
  • You have 30 seconds to pick a coral; if you don't pick one, you move to the end of the list

Requirements:

Tips for this event:
  • Bring a flashlight (simulate as best as you can to your tank lighting)
  • Familiarize yourself with the types of corals you're interested in
  • Ask fellow members about corals you have questions about and share your knowledge

Event Timeline:
10:00 - 11:00 AM - registration
11:05 AM - mini frag swap begins
1:00 PM - mini frag swap concludes (if it hasn't ended earlier)

Remember, the more participants, the more exciting this inaugural mini swap can be. Stay tuned for more details including any potential LFS sponsor donations! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to start a PC or ask here!

Last edited:
This is going to be awesome! :)

I kinda want coral checkers. The last regional swap, we had a thread about what was required on the container, and people still showed up with unlabeled containers.

This is going to be awesome! :)

I kinda want coral checkers. The last regional swap, we had a thread about what was required on the container, and people still showed up with unlabeled containers.

Every swap we've ever had has had that issue regardless of having checkers or not. its just part of the deal unfortunately. I even made Avery templates for members to use years ago, still didn't help.

Yeah, rules are great, but with any number of people you're bound to get people who have "more important things" that supersedes said rules. Sometimes its as simple as helping out a friend, sometimes its "I forgot". I'm sure there are still people who cut frags an hour before leaving for a swap too.

Every swap we've ever had has had that issue regardless of having checkers or not. its just part of the deal unfortunately. I even made Avery templates for members to use years ago, still didn't help.

I was a coral checker, and honestly I tried to help label as many as I could, but there were too many that just got through. We were also out of labels until someone (who wasn't volunteering) brought in extra.

I was a coral checker, and honestly I tried to help label as many as I could, but there were too many that just got through. We were also out of labels until someone (who wasn't volunteering) brought in extra.

Nothing was directed at the checkers... sorry if you felt slighted. I've checked corals in as well, its a mad rush with a lot of people not doing what is asked. Heck, I've ran into time constraints and couldn't finish labeling. When you being in dozens upon dozens of frags, or in a few of ours cases, over a 100... time just isn't on your side :(

Folks - please start thinking of what supplies we may need for this mini-swap! Everything that used to be in storage is now in my garage so I need to know what to bring or go out and buy if necessary. Thank you.

At minimum, I'll bring glue and T-shirts for sale, extra containers, and markers and signs so you won't get lost!

Last edited:
Mike, we have gone back to the old break room for now, til we make a decision. The break room by the cafe is much cheaper. Your idea does sound good. We'll have to make a decision for next year.

Folks - please start thinking of what supplies we may need for this mini-swap! Everything that used to be in storage is now in my garage so I need to know what to bring or go out and buy if necessary. Thank you.
Plenty of sharpies. That way if frag containers are not labeled hand the member a sharpie and have them label them all and then return to the check in table.

I checked in coral for Jess at the last Diablo swap and did the same thing.

Mike, we have gone back to the old break room for now, til we make a decision. The break room by the cafe is much cheaper. Your idea does sound good. We'll have to make a decision for next year.
Is there a room number? I was lost for awhile before I found where the last frag swap was held......

I'm in. I have some nice SPS pieces of ORA -Yellow Lantana that I've been growing out this year. This is the mother colony under 220W svhos super blue actinics. I took it this morning, and still have 5 - 10 pieces that are at least 2" to 5" in diameter to offer and trade. I'll have em available to pick up or bring to the event. If a Supporting Member would like a frag b4 then pm me..... :D I'm hoping to find a piece of superman monti and a pink watermelon chalice to add to my main display.

IMG_1091.jpg

Last edited:
We're really relying on folks being responsible for properly labeling their containers. Everyone is an adult and should follow the guidelines in order to ensure a successful event. If you don't label it properly, you will be frowned upon! :p

Also, if you're unsure of how to label your corals, even after reading the directions above, just be sure to swing by earlier and allot some time for getting help with labeling from other BAR members.

I'm making an amendment to the original format to help ensure the success of this event. The following rule is now implemented (and applied in the original post): Your name will not be written on the list until you have approval of properly labeled frags by a coral checker or BOD member.

I'm new to the club and the area, would it be cool to drop by and socialize without being involved in the swap?

Wpeterson - if you want feel free to sign up for the SF tank tour too. I find you get to talk/meet to people easier on the smaller events.

Back