Neptune Aquatics

Randy’s venture into salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would send out a water sample to be tested. Maybe you have something going on.

well whatever happened all traces are gone after a massive water change. It makes it almost impossible to track down now.

this tank has been super stable and consistent until today. It’s just so weird.

well whatever happened all traces are gone after a massive water change. It makes it almost impossible to track down now.

this tank has been super stable and consistent until today. It’s just so weird.
Super stable and consistent? You don't know what the readings were before. How could you possibly know it was stable?

And it shouldn't have been a surprise that a tank can quickly "turn" when it's overcrowded by that many fish. How long had this tank been set-up? Give us some more info. I know it was a 55. How old was it? When was the last time you tested? What kits did you use? What do you use for biological filtration? What other ways do you reduce organics? When and where were the tangs purchased. Was it all at the same time and place? Were they quarantined?

Moving on... let’s hypothetically say that one of the fish I added before the massive tang death had velvet. Can velvet kill that many tangs in a 6 hour window?

some anonymous folks have mentioned that on one occasion after getting fish from aquatic collection velvet wiped out the whole tank.

I give up. Seriously and with respect -- you don't even know how much you don't know, and ignore the advice of folks that have been doing this for 10,20, and 30 years. You aren't the first that has come and gone with this exact scenario, and you won't be the last, but I see no reason to participate anymore. You didn't take advice before -- there's no reason to expect you would take it now, and not think you have all the answers.

Good luck to you and the tank.

honestly sounds like an ammonia spike-- two new large tangs and then dumping in food 3x a day.

okay so let’s say I buy into this theory. Why did the test show 0 amonia? Amonia won’t go away because it’s the last stage of the nitrogen cycle.

the other question is it seems very coincidental that in a 6 hour period all the tangs died after adding 2 other tangs in hours before

okay so let’s say I buy into this theory. Why did the test show 0 amonia? Amonia won’t go away because it’s the last stage of the nitrogen cycle.

the other question is it seems very coincidental that in a 6 hour period all the tangs died after adding 2 other tangs in hours before
ammonia is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle. Also did you take the sample after the waterchange? That would've significantly diluted everything. Also, the test shows elevated nitrite which would immediately follow an ammonia spike--so by the time you took the sample maybe ammonia was safe again but ~10 hours ago it wasnt

Not coincidental. Adding the two tangs caused an ammonia spike. You are running a canister filter with no skimmer with 4 tangs in a 55 gallon tank. Is anyone surprised?

ammonia is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle. Also did you take the sample after the waterchange? That would've significantly diluted everything. Also, the test shows elevated nitrite which would immediately follow an ammonia spike--so by the time you took the sample maybe ammonia was safe again but ~10 hours ago it wasnt

That sounds very plausible and logical to me. So it was just coincidental perhaps the two additional tangs were added when this went down, or do you think they pushed the amonia levels over the edge causing the spike ?

That sounds very plausible and logical to me. So it was just coincidental perhaps the two additional tangs were added when this went down, or do you think they pushed the ammonia levels over the edge causing the spike ?
Yes, 100%. When I add new fish to my qt I feed sparingly for the first few days to let the bio filter ramp up.

if your tank is gonna be stocked like a 125+ gallon you need comparable filtration to keep everything alive even in the short term. I think your tank re-equilibrated itself, and if you add more tangs a similar thing will happen. Best wait untill the 135 gallon is up and running

if your tank is gonna be stocked like a 125+ gallon you need comparable filtration to keep everything alive even in the short term. I think your tank re-equilibrated itself, and if you add more tangs a similar thing will happen. Best wait untill the 135 gallon is up and running

yeah I don’t see the need to stress the fish by moving them a second time to the new tank.

Sorry for your lost but maybe your filtration isn't enough to handle your bio load?! Highly suggest you should get a skimmer, would definitely help in the long run. Skimmer also provide oxygen to water without needing an air pump.

Last edited:
Sorry for your lost but maybe your filtration isn't enough to handle your bio load?! Highly suggest you should get a skimmer, would definitely help in the long run. Skimmer also provide oxygen to water without needing an air pump.
I’m not sure if you saw in this thread the 130 gallon I am moving to. It will have all the equipment you mentioned.

sorry for the lost, truly am. personally I believe you're going to quick. this hobby is all about patience. adding too many fish and picking up dtbc in short amount of time. rule of thumb I go by, add one fish per month so the biological system can keep up with the demand. on top of that, you are over feeding and I do not think your canister filtration can keep up. unsure what type of mechanical or biological media you are running, but needs to have some type organic/nutrient exports. your canister inlet and outlets prob under the surface as well, I'd point your hydras to the surface to break up the organics on the surface to agitate them to break it up and also helps oxygenate the water.

we are here to help each other out. you ask questions, we answer them. especially if you are new to the reefing scene. it's not like freshwater where you float and dump the fish in, we actually have to do a 30 to 45min drip acclimate before introducing them to the tank.

I just have one question and if you can answer it would be helpful, how long has the tank been set up? I only asked cause based on your previous tang picture, you're tank looks too clean. sand is clean, live rocks are bright white with no signs of diatoms or algae, plastic tubes and back glass just too clean. i hope you finished the cycle. you claim to have sps in your tank also. I'd keep my eye on them since they are more sensitive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back