Our mission

Talk about responsible fish harvesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I purposely left it out because there some very judgey judgey types here and quite frankly I didn’t feel like subjecting myself to that.
There are also some people here that do some very unadvisable things with their animals that are quite frankly not fair. If you don’t want people offering you solid advice about putting xl tangs in a tank that is too small then you’re probably in the wrong place here. The word ethical is in the club mission statement for a reason. If you know that it’s probably a bad idea and do it anyway that’s up to, and on, you, but it would be wrong for knowledgeable hobbyists to not at least mention it.
imo planning to upgrade/trade in/sell the fish when they get too big isn’t a great plan, and I would always say wait until you actually do to get the big tank to get the big fish. Obviously just my opinion. Not telling anyone they are wrong, or what they can and can’t do, but there are some people here that have been around awhile, have hands on experience with these fish, And actually care about the animals enough to say something when they see or hear something that isn’t a great idea.
as an example that’s obviously not a direct correlation, if I knew someone that lived by themselves, had a studio apartment with no yard access, and worked like 50-60 hours a week wanted to get a Great Dane puppy and told me it would be fine since they were going to move to a house with a yard in a year and start working from home. I would tell them it was a bad idea, and not fair to the dog. Would I tell them they couldn’t do it? No, but I wouldn’t want to see them make what I knew Would be almost certainly a big mistake.
To go a little further, if soneone started a thread on the internet about what size peoples houses were and what dogs they had I would definitely point it out.

There are also some people here that do some very unadvisable things with their animals that are quite frankly not fair. If you don’t want people offering you solid advice about putting xl tangs in a tank that is too small then you’re probably in the wrong place here. The word ethical is in the club mission statement for a reason. If you know that it’s probably a bad idea and do it anyway that’s up to, and on, you, but it would be wrong for knowledgeable hobbyists to not at least mention it.
imo planning to upgrade/trade in/sell the fish when they get too big isn’t a great plan, and I would always say wait until you actually do to get the big tank to get the big fish. Obviously just my opinion. Not telling anyone they are wrong, or what they can and can’t do, but there are some people here that have been around awhile, have hands on experience with these fish, And actually care about the animals enough to say something when they see or hear something that isn’t a great idea.
as an example that’s obviously not a direct correlation, if I knew someone that lived by themselves, had a studio apartment with no yard access, and worked like 50-60 hours a week wanted to get a Great Dane puppy and told me it would be fine since they were going to move to a house with a yard in a year and start working from home. I would tell them it was a bad idea, and not fair to the dog. Would I tell them they couldn’t do it? No, but I wouldn’t want to see them make what I knew Would be almost certainly a big mistake.
To go a little further, if soneone started a thread on the internet about what size peoples houses were and what dogs they had I would definitely point it out.

Mike I was doing a solid by not naming names but you brought this out to the limelight. I understand you have a lifetime of experience and I appriciate your advice, but can you please stop trolling my posts? This is exactly why when I mention BAR people have a negative connotation of the club.

Thank You,

Randy

Mike I was doing a solid by not naming names but you brought this out to the limelight. I understand you have a lifetime of experience and I appriciate your advice, but can you please stop trolling my posts? This is exactly why when I mention BAR people have a negative connotation of the club.

Thank You,

Randy
I can ignore you now if you’d like, but you are missing the fact that what you are doing does not fit with the mission of the club. If you don’t care or disagree that’s up to you, but I do want other people who might care to know that I don’t think it’s right and that they probably shouldn’t copy you

not here to batter you. im not judging nor the tang police. just my opinion and all i am going to say.

i saw your thread on the AC pick up with tangs. you listed 4 tangs currently in your tank with intention of upgrading in the future. currently I think your rounded edge acrylic tank is maybe 20 - 40 gallons based on the picture.

not here to batter you. im not judging nor the tang police. just my opinion and all i am going to say.

i saw your thread on the AC pick up with tangs. you listed 4 tangs currently in your tank with intention of upgrading in the future. currently I think your rounded edge acrylic tank is maybe 20 - 40 gallons based on the picture.

55 without the external filter that holds another 5 gallons.

when I say upgrade, it’s not an intention I am looking at the new tank right now. I am custom
Building a red oak and white birch stand at present..... also dealing with a loved one possibly on their last week alive so not exactly a top priority.

i bought small blue hippo and powder blue from AC as well. I've had them for almost 2 years already in my rsr350 and already prob 5 - 6 inches now. I didnt expect them to grow that fast in a short period of time. Previous tangs I had grew much slower. I don't know but they are pooping like crazy and my sps just loves it. I had intentions of upgrading to a IM 150ext a few weeks ago, but my address couldnt be verified and my amex cancelled the tranactions due to fraudulent charges. i thought, maybe it just wasnt meant to be and never repurchased it, but the 10% off sale is still on.

in my sps dtbc, i always thought as long as you can create an environment to ensure substainability and surviviabilty then i am okay with that

Last edited:
Constant fish turnover is good for business...but NOT necessarily good for the fish.
Unfortunately most fish caught are DEAD within a month of capture. (I’m not exact with the percentage, but you get my drift)
Relatively speaking only a small number actually are fortunate enough to out grow your tank.
How many people out there have fish over 5 years? And how many fish have you purchased in order to get the FEW that have lived five years?

That said, I do wish there was an option for the lucky fish that do get too big

Fish in a glass box is not a natural state....the ocean is a large place

Constant fish turnover is good for business...but NOT necessarily good for the fish.
Unfortunately most fish caught are DEAD within a month of capture. (I’m not exact with the percentage, but you get my drift)
Relatively speaking only a small number actually are fortunate enough to out grow your tank.
How many people out there have fish over 5 years? And how many fish have you purchased in order to get the FEW that have lived five years?

That said, I do wish there was an option for the lucky fish that do get too big

Fish in a glass box is not a natural state....the ocean is a large place

Do you think the number of significant others that like having all this fish equipment in thier house is smaller ? *laugh*

Achiles Tang
Powder blue tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
note Tangs are more 3-7 years old were small when added.
5 lyretail anthias
2 royal gramma
leopard wrasse
blue star wrasse
mystery wrasse
pintail wrasse
pink margin wrasse
ornate leopard wrasse
red fairy wrasse
melarnus wrasse
Timor wrasse
2 bangai cardinals
flame hawk
flame back angel

No I purposely left it out because there some very judgey judgey types here and quite frankly I didn’t feel like subjecting myself to that.

I think you have it all wrong. It's not that people are judgey at all. They are giving advice based on experience, and well-being of the animals. That second one is, and should be, of paramount importance to any member of this club. Let me give you an extreme example. Let's say you love dogs, but are doing something to abuse them. Perhaps you don't even realize it's abuse. Are people on a dog board being judgey judgey when they tell you that's not good or proper care for your dog?

This is EXACTLY what responsible fish owners do when it comes to giving advice on the best care practices for these animals.

I think you have it all wrong. It's not that people are judgey at all. They are giving advice based on experience, and well-being of the animals. That second one is, and should be, of paramount importance to any member of this club. Let me give you an extreme example. Let's say you love dogs, but are doing something to abuse them. Perhaps you don't even realize it's abuse. Are people on a dog board being judgey judgey when they tell you that's not good or proper care for your dog?

This is EXACTLY what responsible fish owners do when it comes to giving advice on the best care practices for these animals.

Our aquarium inhabitants did not choose to reside in our boxes of water.
And in most cases, it will be the last place that they live.
It is your power to purchase them, but in doing so, it is your DUTY to supply the husbandry that is necessary

But hey, that’s just me
Ultimately the fish and invertebrates should all be left in place out there

The

So yeah... let’s get this thread back on track. This isn’t the “ I have an opinion on the size of your tank” thread.

The

So yeah... let’s get this thread back on track. This isn’t the “ I have an opinion on the size of your tank” thread.
Sorry -- there is NOTHING more on track with this club (based on our clearly written goals and objectives) than the proper care and respect for the animals we keep. I'm sorry if you don't have the same goals and objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back