Neptune Aquatics

Ultimate aquarium is selling their giant clam for cheap !!!

Yeah Calcium siphon. Also would suck (no pun) if their uptake of calcium and alkalinity were at a different rate than corals, not sure if their shell is the same make up as coral skeleton or not.

That said, yeah back in the day I had one that was 5" and I could still dose 2 part no problem, but I'm pretty sure 10" is not twice the uptake :D
I just loved my old clam. I had it for 7 years...
I used to target feed mine almost daily, or every other day. He loved it. I fed oyster feast and another product I forgot what it was called but it was for clam and filter feeder.

I'm not sure how much of a calcium siphon large clams are actually. Once they reach 4-5 inches their growth seems to slow way down, and it can take decades for them to hit that 12-14" size. As to feeding the general consensus on them is feeding is necessary and beneficial while they are small, but once they've reached 4-5 inches in a stable tank with a small amount of nitrates they don't need additional feeding. They get enough from a good light source.

You are right. I actually heard that clams can cause issues in tank nutrients if they are big enough or many of them in a tank. They suck in nutrients and elements.

I currently have four in my tank. A 7", two 4" and a 3". I haven't noticed a nutrient issue because of the clams. I do believe they keep my water sparkling clean though. :) They are also getting plenty of PAR though and the tank is over-stocked so there is plenty to filter feed on.

I remember hearing that clams are one of the few marine creatures that can quite literally take all the light you throw out it, i.e. no bleaching like corals, so lots of light they will grow quite a bit. Feeding them may be necessary if you run your tank ultra clean or the light isn't quite up to par (yeah that pun was intended)

I currently have four in my tank. A 7", two 4" and a 3". I haven't noticed a nutrient issue because of the clams. I do believe they keep my water sparkling clean though. :) They are also getting plenty of PAR though and the tank is over-stocked so there is plenty to filter feed on.
That's awesome. I also questioned that you should not keep multiple in system. I had 2. One 10" and another like 4".
The 10" one did grow relatively fast, it used to be 4" or so and over 6 years it almost triple in size. Maybe cause I ged it often..
When it died I noticed a good drop in alk and ca consumption thatd for sure.
Clams are awesome.

I remember hearing that clams are one of the few marine creatures that can quite literally take all the light you throw out it, i.e. no bleaching like corals, so lots of light they will grow quite a bit. Feeding them may be necessary if you run your tank ultra clean or the light isn't quite up to par (yeah that pun was intended)
I think that was my case. I fed it often, and indeed I run ULN.
For light I always had it on the samd bed. It went through all my light evolution from t5s, LEDs to LED+t5. Always looked the same and was happy..

92dab8c2bbd8987769fff417eb1c83a9.jpg

You can have as many clams in a tank as you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I would count a store's display of goods as what you can do, I mean hell if you go by that than 50+ chromis in a small tank :D

That said, Arnold had at one time 17 clams or some crazy like that, so yeah you can keep lots of clams :D

I'm not sure I would count a store's display of goods as what you can do, I mean hell if you go by that than 50+ chromis in a small tank :D

That said, Arnold had at one time 17 clams or some crazy like that, so yeah you can keep lots of clams :D
Agreed, it all depend. Ofcourse you can keep multiple clams. As long asthey are taken care of food and supplement wise, it's all good.
The way I see is simple: if keeping a clam or 2 shows better water clarity as Bruce mentioned, this means the clam is filtering water and taking in nutrients. Which means there is a threshold that at some point, you can deal with low nutrient issues if you keep clams to hit that threshold whether due to number and or size of the clams in the system (am sure it depend on couple factors, one of which is the water volume).
So, yeh, it all depend on the situation and what type of system the clams are in..

Last edited:
Back