High Tide Aquatics

What are you planning to bring to the Frag Swap ?

I’d like to suggest that we make the first round at least twice as long or have some other way for people to see what’s there before having to just pick something quickly.

Subsequent rounds are less of an issue because there are fewer corals and you’ve already seen some of them.
I think we should cut the time down by 1/2 and enjoy the panic;)

It's been an up in the air thing wether or not people get to pre view the tables beforehand. If so ten. I extra time needed. If not maybe first round slightly longer?
What do people think about checking out the tables before the first round?

To me it’s clear that people should have a chance to see what’s there before they have to pick something. It’s not like we are under a huge time crunch to vacate the building or something.

There is literally no way to look at all the corals before having to pick in the first round, especially in the larger open swap.

The only reason I could see to not give enough time to preview for everyone, is to intentionally give an advantage to the bonus round members and members volunteering to screen and setup the corals. After all, those are the members contributing the most to the swap. But if that is the reasoning, we should be open about it.

I make sure not to be the 1st few in during bonus round. I also stood around for a good 30 secs before picking anything up and actually pointed out coral for people looking for something in particular.

I think Eric took his time getting in as well.

We both also did not participate in all the rounds.

I spent most rounds looking for coral for others before taking something.

So please do not insinuate I take advantage over everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make sure not to be the 1st few in during bonus round. I also stood around for a good 30 secs before picking anything up and actually pointed out coral for people looking for something in particular.

...Never mind. I’ll stay out of this. Misread posts.

Yep, that is correct. I don't go there to collect corals. Only to peruse, catch up with others, and to assist others who are on the fence about certain corals.

I went home with 4 corals last time even though I had 6 bonus tickets and didn't participate all the way through similar to Vincent.

To me it’s clear that people should have a chance to see what’s there before they have to pick something. It’s not like we are under a huge time crunch to vacate the building or something.

There is literally no way to look at all the corals before having to pick in the first round, especially in the larger open swap.

The only reason I could see to not give enough time to preview for everyone, is to intentionally give an advantage to the bonus round members and members volunteering to screen and setup the corals. After all, those are the members contributing the most to the swap. But if that is the reasoning, we should be open about it.
Thanks for the feedback. I think it's just an oversight that hasn't been officially addressed wether we let people check out the tables before or not. I think we need to have a rule about it and stick to it. I see no reason that everyone shouldn't be able to look at the tables before the swap begins. Anyone else have opinions on this?
Is there a reason we don't want people looking at the tables before?

People want to know what is there before the swap starts. I get that. But knowing what is there (and where) is not going to help you get what you want.

If someone in an earlier round wants the same piece, it will be gone when you get there. So point is moot whether you saw it first before the swap or not.

Rather, there is a chance she/he missed that coral on his/her 1st go around and you see in during your’s.

The BOD can decide on this. I think it will add to the time we are there since we cannot allow everyone in at the same time so most likely we do 2 rounds at the same time which would make it another 3-4 rounds before swapping actually starts.

I can attest to this. Vincent is awesome at the swaps. He has helped me and many others find what were looking for after we get in. Most of the time (even if it's his round) he helps others look. Takes a lot of the stress off and is a huge help to newer members finding appropriate corals.

Are the corals randomly placed on the table? Or are they organized in some way? If they aren’t already, I would think separating corals into sps, lps, softies, zoos and palys would help with finding a specific coral

Are the corals randomly placed on the table? Or are they organized in some way? If they aren’t already, I would think separating corals into sps, lps, softies, zoos and palys would help with finding a specific coral

According to a photo I saw it is organized by lps/sps/ zoa type thing

Also if you want to streamline the whole thing balance out the rounds and choose the appropriate number of one coral per rounds. Every swap some groups have 12 or more and some have three or four in them. It's going to happen that way if we pre-draw numbers. If we count folks coming in instead and then figure how many rounds we can easily balance the rounds by havin everyone draw just before we start. This was especially egregious at the last swap where we could have easily had three of four less groups and thus cut down time per round by 6-8 minutes.

Good idea Bruce. I think groups should be decided and given out just before the swap to get the right number of groups with roughly equal numbers per group.

Also if you want to streamline the whole thing balance out the rounds and choose the appropriate number of one coral per rounds. Every swap some groups have 12 or more and some have three or four in them. It's going to happen that way if we pre-draw numbers. If we count folks coming in instead and then figure how many rounds we can easily balance the rounds by havin everyone draw just before we start. This was especially egregious at the last swap where we could have easily had three of four less groups and thus cut down time per round by 6-8 minutes.

If we wait for everyone to check in, then count how many and split them even between the rounds, sure. But that also takes time since people will have check in and run through picking a letter after.

We can reduce the number of letters in each round available in the bucket and add more later if it runs out.

Good idea Bruce. I think groups should be decided and given out just before the swap to get the right number of groups with roughly equal numbers per group.

Thats assuming we know exactly who is coming and not have any walk ins. Which means everyone will have to prepay and confirm that they will be coming.

Back