Kessil

90 Gallon forced upgrade no more peninsula.

Hello !

Just got home back from working on the stand; lots, I must say huge progress today.
Finished with the doors, placed hinges and mortises for the adapted hinges since I could not find something that would work the way I had planned; Lowes sucks for hardware so went to HD and well it also sucks but found something to adapt and turned out nice.
Still need to pick the door knobs but I already have one in mind.
This morning I went to HD to pick the stain, chose Minwax Red Mahogany; tomorrow to sand the small details, seal the inside of the stand and hopefully stain it. Since I have to decide on the reflectors, tomorrow I will use the router to trim the plywood for the small ones first I got these from Ocean Treasures; simple DIY 250W-DE like the one on the last picture.
I have some LM3 Mini to use but I might go different way since they take most real estate on the sliding shelf which sits on Aluminum railing (I have to raise it since I can barely reach inside the tank) I would like to have four T5 under the shelf or two VHO's, these ones I have already; for T5's I would need to buy reflectors end caps w/stand offs.
I'm going to try a flooded overflow just to make sure is quiet; two 1 1/2" drains might be noisy.

Here are the most recent images...

DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

hqi-retro.jpg

Hi Mario,

Man you've got some heavy duty fire power under the bonnet (sweet canopy btw).

I love my T-12s (URI SVHOs super actinics) and IceCap Ballast / End Caps too. That's quite a build my friend.

Are those LEDs for transition lighting or Moon Lighting?

Thanks for taking the time to post the progress.

Best,
Joel

Hi Joel !

The T12 you see are 30W Coralife I used them to set the stand offs and caps, I have a knack for dropping VHO bulbs on the floor so decided to use sacrifice bulbs just in case. I have URI Actinic VHO that do nothing but gather dust so I thought why not?
The LED strips are just blue, got them off ebay since someone here posted about cheap moon lights.
I have to take my family shopping today so maybe in a couple hours will resume the eternal want to stain the stand today.

Hi Mario,

Those URIs are nice. I have about a half dozen in my garage. They burn long and bright. I love em, but will probably go to T5s when I run out of the URIs as they take up less space in the canopy, so I can add more watts per gallon that way.

Your Blue LEDs may work well on the R2 controller - like I just bought: http://bestpetlighting.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=r2&osCsid=a295e25cbf9ff1898512b996618f2529&x=0&y=0 . It seems to be mirror the moon phases fairly close.

Shopping and staining - sounds like a fun time for all.

Joel

Got home~ 6:30 and for a couple hours got to do some polyurethane coating on the doors; it's going to be long for the stand to get the first coat, some kids are rehearsing a Quinceañera ball in the back patio every afternoon and have to wait for the weekend.
Couple pictures of the first poly coat; one with flash and one without.
I was kind of not liking the stain color but with the clear coat on it sure shows some nice wood grain, I'm happy.

DTW5209003.jpg

DTW5209004-1.jpg

Elite said:
dang that is the first coat?? .. What do you use to apply the stuff?

I use a Purdy XL shorty brush and lots of patience. I saw one, different brand at HD yesterday that has the smoothest bristles I've ever come across in paint brushes but since I want to put America back to work, bought the one made in the good old USA; nothing against anyone from the globe but figured out WE are out of work and need to contribute our grain of sand to go back to work.

I will be sticking with the DIY reflectors, been kind of busy again and no time to stain the stand, yesterday I was ready to stain it and drizzle poured down so it was a no go; well, had time to set the lighting on the sliding shelf.
I kind of fabricated a bracket for the DIY reflectors since they were initially sitting on the plywood and heath was a concern. Went to the local hardware shop to buy aluminum spacers but they only had nylon; I had an old capacitor aluminum holder from a dead mag ballast so I spliced it into four pieces to fabricate the brackets that hold the pendants thus keeping a gap between the wood and the hot metal.
Went to Ocean Treasures to buy the reflectors and today going through my stuff, found four reflectors, exactly the same so now I have six, guess is an excuse to build something else...
Tomorrow I have planned on staining the stand probably I will update the images of it late in the evening.
I also decided to buy a diamond hole saw and drill a small 29G tank and place the overflow box in it, came out pretty decent.

P1020858.jpg

P1020862.jpg

P1020863.jpg

P1020861.jpg

P1020867.jpg

P1020870.jpg

P1020872.jpg

P1020865.jpg

P1020868.jpg

P1020869.jpg

...well, after last night's rain (and this morning too) I was set back into waiting for the stand to dry the water it got; it was not much but since poly can't be applied on wet surfaces, have to wait for it to dry completely.
Was around 4:00am when the tremendous thunderstorms woke my wife and myself up.
That's mother nature...
But the doors will get the fourth and final coat then a one coat on the inner side.
My brother aware of the rain, was able to put a tarp on the stand.

sfsuphysics said:
Looks really sweet, once that sucker is stained up it should look ultra sweet, personally I'm a fan of either the ultra darks if there's serious wood grain sexiness, or the reddish browns (but only when varnished to look shiny).

Out of curiosity how is the entire top part of the canopy held up? It doesn't look like much of anything is.

So Mike, does it look sexy all shiny? I know is not exotic wood but I like the way the grain shows.
My father is/was (Have not seen him in 32 years) a carpenter and did amazing wood work, specially veneers; back in the day he used to keep the hot iron gliding back and forth till it was perfectly bonded. Reddish Browns are my favorite and going to try Ebony on something, just to get an idea of the dark color.

One more coat to go on the stand and to start the plumbing; two 1.5" drains I think is just insane but that's the way it was planned.
OF Box I might make a new one not as deep.
I ran out of polyurethane so I had to make a run to HD on Sunday and FORGOT to buy two connectors for the MH ballasts; nothing special but they are colored to ID each one.
Will post pics as soon as I'm done with the stand, that thing is huge and hard to move by one person.

FINISHED THE STAND !!!
...well, just door knobs and that's it.
The polyurethane coating still drying and doors are in place for the picture day, that should be tomorrow in the afternoon.
Now to decide what to do with it, keep it? I've been wanting to set a 90G at home but my wife liked the stand so much that I'm leaning towards keeping this 70G peninsula; when she sees the stand she will be in the reef hobby too.
I made a stand for sdharrington on RC and I liked that stand so much that the one I made for the 90G will be up for sale to fund the new stand; most likely the color will be the same as the peninsula and will match the kitchen cabinet doors (I'm working on those too).

Nice work!
Looks like the basement at 6th avenue aquarium. So much fish tank stuff in the background.
I guess I'm not the only one that can't throw stuff out.LOL

Well, the knobs are in place but the poly coats still have to harden a bit so will let it rest in the basement. If I try to put the tank just to snap some images I might ruin the finish so better safe than sorry.
Here are the pictures...

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg

Thanks !

It's in my genes (had to find an excuse) my grandma is that way, my mother is that way...
The reflectors I used, bought them couple weeks ago at OT then I went back to work a little more on the stand, was looking for something, opened a box and couple reflectors same model inside.
That's my brothers basement but at home also have tons of c***p in a small closet (my wife hates that)
I need to have a sidewalk reef sale !!

Back