Kessil

Aquatic Central closing it's doors-50% sale !

By the way, Chris also mentioned that he was thinking of doing something on a smaller scale in the future, once you step foot into this hobby you are hooked for life!!

Yeah but having a store and being part of the hobby are two separate things. After all it's not like his store was dedicated to saltwater like Ocean Treasures became eventually.

True in a way, but as for myself I am a hobbyist whose dream is to one day own my own shop. At what point does myself owning a shop determine I am no longer a hobbyist?

BayReefer415 said:
In a way yes, but I would consider myself a hobbyist/vendor. I would still have my own tanks and still purchase product for myself as a hobbyist too.
AND go broke even faster :D
Just kidding of course.
Not :D

I think your feelings will change right after you write the checks for the landlord, PG&E, payroll, and insurance. And then you have to stock the store with dry goods and livestock, and then maintain the livestock.

JAR said:
BayReefer415 said:
In a way yes, but I would consider myself a hobbyist/vendor. I would still have my own tanks and still purchase product for myself as a hobbyist too.
AND go broke even faster :D
Just kidding of course.
Not :D
So basically your telling me I would have to choose between the 2? If I ever own my own shop, I can no longer be a hobbyist?

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. When it becomes your source of income it's no longer a hobby.

When your a store your more in this catagory

Often, profits.
a.
pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction. Compare gross profit, net profit.
b.
the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
c.
returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc.: The company works on a small margin of profit.
advantage; benefit; gain.

650-IS350 said:
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. When it becomes your source of income it's no longer a hobby.

When your a store your more in this catagory

Often, profits.
a.
pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction. Compare gross profit, net profit.
b.
the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
c.
returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc.: The company works on a small margin of profit.
advantage; benefit; gain.
I still feel that there is a in-between just my opinion.

Coral reefer said:
Well you just missed your chance to buy Chris out and be the only store in the city.
Trust me when I say I was pretty darn close to doing exactly that. I was born and raised in Bernal Heights in the city and know all about the dwindling population of LFS's. The reputation his store had wasn't the best though and I'd rather start fresh.

Coral reefer said:
Well you just missed your chance to buy Chris out and be the only store in the city.
It's the only store in SF? Lucky Ocean closed too?

I just got a flyer in the mail (for some reason) shows Hung Ming Aquarium and Puppy Mil.. er Pet Supplies has moved to Geneva in DC :D

BayReefer415 said:
Coral reefer said:
Hurry up! We need a lfs here!!!
I'm trying, I can only go as fast as my realtor will allow me. It won't be in the city though as I have moved to San Bruno but it will be the closest for sure.

A LFS in San Bruno...I can only dream since I live in Millbrae. :love:

BayReefer415 said:
Coral reefer said:
Hurry up! We need a lfs here!!!
I'm trying, I can only go as fast as my realtor will allow me. It won't be in the city though as I have moved to San Bruno but it will be the closest for sure.
San Bruno is awesome, you'll be able to park there without fear of having your car towed or an $80 parking ticket because the $4 you put in the meter wasn't enough to look in the store and chat a bit :D

Aquatraders I think closed down on San Bruno & 3rd Avenue... nice warehouse style place, used to be a car audio store too. So there's a building available :D

Back