Cali Kid Corals

BAR Regional Swap February 13th @ Chabot College

And there is a good knowledgeable crew that will be in the picking area to help with any choices if you have questions about care of a particular coral. They are there more than just to make sure you get out in time ;)

I'll be there the swaps are great this year will be the first time I can participate last year I joined the same month as the swap and couldn't get a number, but it was still great and they have a great raffle too

I'm on vacation that week. My 450 and frag tank won't be set up in time (still trying to finish the remodel), but I can help out wherever needed.

Jim

I'm still learning these forums. If I appear to wander off please don't be offended. I think I have this thread subscription right now.

MARS got a much better quality of frags with their tiers on this last frag swap. They did...
Bring two tier 1 frags and get one 1st round choice
Bring four tier 2 frags get one 2nd round choice

This resulted in a lot more high end participants which resulted in a lot more very high quality frags going to members who would otherwise not have them.

I was giving serious thought to skipping our last frag swap until Paul Betito suggested this new tier structure. I usually bring 30 or 40 frags mid to high end frags. It is a lot of effort to prep for the swap. Prior to the tier change, there was little to no chance I was going to find anything I wanted and its way easier to DBTC at the meeting. Perhaps I'm too self serving. Judging by the quality of the frags at our last swap it appears I'm in good company :D

I haven't been to a conference since SEABAY put on the WMC in Monterey. BAYMAC should be fun.

tuberider said:
We do two a year, one Regional (everyone's invited), and a members only swap in August. Our regional swap is very much an outreach to other clubs and to reefers who are interested in the community, there tends to be a ton of frags due to the turnout, although I feel that the DBTC program has had an impact on attendance since there are now so many corals available at any given time. The members only swap is more of a party, the quality of frags is amazing, but there's not a whole bunch of them. That's fine by me since I only wind up taking a couple of frags anyway, bring two coolers go home with two frags, I like it!

We've had rare picking groups and tiers, but in the end we feel it puts the emphasis on what can I get rather than what can I bring, the whole mentality of our swaps, we feel, is propagation, sharing and diversity, those are important elements that embrace our mission :)

Also, we will be hosting BAYMAC this year and would love to have you guys out for that event.

We did the tier system several year back and it really didn't push for more quality frags :(

Yeah, we did "rare"/"bonus" groups before, and while yes some "higher end" stuff came it really was a matter of people bringing the bare minimum to get that bonus. We dropped the bonus, and hell since instituting the "do not want" list get quite a good selection of stuff.

That said there very easily could be other factors involved with it too, like the area is so flooded with good stuff that bringing it really is a no brainer.

Of course there's always the issue of what's considered "high end", in fact I think it's just as easy to remove the weedy/junk stuff and by default you get none of that in the swaps, so no more setosa, it's garbage!! :D

noob question here:

My tank is finally ready for some corals (http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9273). Should I buy 3 frags from one of our sponsors and add some frags from the swap or should I just buy corals and and them.

See you on the 13th,
Erik

You'll end up ahead if you buy 3 corals and participate in the swap. You'll take home more. Just amke sure your tank is ready for corals. Why don't you post details of your tank and get some opinions?

konkers, the point of this swap os pretty much grow them on your own and trade. If you buy them, it's better off to keep them, but unless you bought a big piece and you want to propagate them and use them for trading, then it's a mighty find idea.

Back