Kessil

Diver's Paradise: Felicia's Scuba-Inspired 30 Gallon

FeliciaLynn said:
denzil said:
Cool! I may be setting up a frag tank soon as well. :)
Exciting! You going to do a DIY fixture for it?
Nah, I actually got my hands on Bob's Kessil. Since it's for a frag tank, there was really no need for the controllability of the A360W.

However, I think I'm sold on getting an A360W for the 40B instead of the RapidLED kit to see if I'll be happy with the coverage. If not, I may get rid of it and end up getting the RapidLED kit anyway but we'll see. :)

denzil said:
FeliciaLynn said:
denzil said:
Nah, I actually got my hands on Bob's Kessil. Since it's for a frag tank, there was really no need for the controllability of the A360W.

However, I think I'm sold on getting an A360W for the 40B instead of the RapidLED kit to see if I'll be happy with the coverage. If not, I may get rid of it and end up getting the RapidLED kit anyway but we'll see. :)
The Kessils seem to be awesome lights, just out of my budget unfortunately. It'll be perfect for the frag tank. The controllability of the new Kessil is really awesome. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like it if you get one. My main issue with the kessil is that its too blue for my taste. My DIY fixtures have two separate dimmable channels so I can tailor the blue/white balance. Its great that the new kessil finally has that option.

Here's a photo of the finished LED fixture all lit up.
IMG_0960_zps893097a0.jpg

Now I've got to finish getting it all hung above the frag tank.

FeliciaLynn said:
denzil said:
FeliciaLynn said:
denzil said:

The Kessils seem to be awesome lights, just out of my budget unfortunately. It'll be perfect for the frag tank. The controllability of the new Kessil is really awesome. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like it if you get one. My main issue with the kessil is that its too blue for my taste. My DIY fixtures have two separate dimmable channels so I can tailor the blue/white balance. Its great that the new kessil finally has that option.

Yeah, if I'm not happy with the color, I may either supplement it or get rid of it altogether but we'll see when I actually get there. I plan on running the 40B for six months in the dark so it'll be a while before I can provide any feedback... unless I happen to win one at a raffle. :)

FeliciaLynn said:
Wow! You sure have way more patience than I do. I have a hard time making it through the 6-8 weeks for the cycle. Let alone 6 months!
Hah, I got into the hobby over six months ago... what's another six months? :)

Getting the frag tank should be pretty easy and straightforward though since I'll be running BB and just be pulling water and rock from the 10g.

I just finished getting the new LED fixture hung above the frag tank and all the equipment organized behind the tank. I just wanted to share a few photos of the set up.

The full setup. Ignore how dirty the frag tank is. I'll be cleaning it tomorrow.
IMG_1081_zps094b4e6f.jpg

Top down view of the LED drivers and potentiometers behind the tank. They're protected from splashed in clear acrylic boxes that I made.
IMG_1084_zps9aa74aca.jpg

Another view behind the tank.
IMG_1087_zps92336d85.jpg

One of the boxes I made for the equipment. They're open on one side to allow the drivers to slide in and out and so that I can get to the potentiometers for adjustment. Also, keeping one side open allows heat exchange so that the drivers don't overheat in the boxes.
IMG_1077_zps2314a17c.jpg

Back