Cali Kid Corals

Tapmorf's In Wall Upgrade

Oh, I wish :)
Ian's fixture is really nice.
I recently bought Ian's old 6x54w Tek light. I will just stick with what I got and maybe upgrade or add a pendant MH if I think the lighting is not enough. I won't know til everything comes together.

As I am approaching the delivery of my new tank, I am still debating the "Age Old Topic".

To Sand Bed or Not to Sand Bed.

I have never run a bare bottom system before. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either method ? I do prefer the look of the sand bed, but also like the pristine surface that a sandless bottom provides. ??? ::)

Advantages to no sandbed, corals on the bottom of your tank, yes they will encrust on it, you can go for higher flow without worrying about sand dunes, and then there's no issue built up "crap" that could potentially unleash toxins into the tank

Disadvantages, there are quite a few creatures (both fish and inverts) that "need" a sand bed. Obvious is the nitrate removal, although I can say that me having no sandbed (remote or in tank) I've managed to keep my nitrates at undetectable levels (no special equipment either, other than a skimmer).

I'd like to say it's easier to go no-sand bed with less problems and that's the end all be all of it, because when I did run a sand bed.... but the fact of the matter is when I ran a sandbed is when I started my first tank, and was new to the hobby, as a result there could be so many other factors that played into my tank having the issues that it did compared to now.

Mike most people I know with no sandbed have lower nitrates than people with sandbeds. To get the nitrate lowering benefit your sand has to be really thick. Most people don't have deep enough sandbeds.

Disadvantage. Your wife complains that the bottom looks so empty and likes the look of the sand better.... Well I guess you wouldn't have that problem

There is a plan 'C'. I believe Rich (Thales) has star board covered in sand. That way you get the look of sand but no other negative aspects of it.

well some reefs do... in my snorkel adventures in Maui I did notice "reefs" that did in fact have sand (hell I was walking on it half the time :D) and they did have hard stony corals, but then the percentage of reefs that close to shore most likely very small compared to what's out in deeper water

Mike, Hawaii doesn't really count. jk. I like how you put "reefs" in quotation marks. Its as if you weren't calling them real reefs yourself. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reef

According to this site, reefs can be made up of the deposition of sand, etc.

I've only gone diving in two places (Hawaii and the Carribean), and there was lots of sand. Maybe not on the reef, but definitely surrounding them. :) I also noticed lots of seafans and other life seemingly "sprouting" out of the sand in the Bahamas.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Just to update the build here.
This is a teaser pic from Gen today.
He still needs to cut the opening for the overflow, trim, polish and drill the overflow drains.

939_19_11_08_9_07_10.JPG

For some reason, the tank looks really small from the picture. :)

Yeah gotta be extra careful with the sand and everything else too when it comes to acrylic. The corners needed the 45 angles. I am fine with that as long as there is no large center brace :)

Gen has been doing the octagonal bracing for a couple of years now, it makes for a very strong top. If eurobracing fails it's in the corners most of the time.

Joyce a few things about acrylic that might help you out. Water tempers acrylic, when first filled it's pretty soft and most anything will scratch it, over time it becomes much harder (and more brittle too), and less likely to scratch. I usually fill a tank and let it sit with lights off for a week or two to start the process, that way when you do kick the lights on you have an additional week before you need to wipe the tank down. Most of the scratches you get in a new tank will be like a fine haze where you can see the individual lines if you look at the tank from and angle, especially if you're looking from the bottom up. Those scratches are from "acrylic safe" pads even ::). Whatever you do, do not use plastic scrapers until the tank has been up for a while, they will really scratch your tank in the beginning.

If you wish to use magnets, which work very well in limited access tanks consider using a super algae pad or sock http://mightymagnets.com/pads.htm#dozier especially if you have sand. The sand can get trapped in the sock, but there is very little pressure exerted on the sand grain as they tend to get trapped in the depressions of the weave.

Nice tank BTW :)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4902.msg65313#msg65313 date=1227200689]
Gen has been doing the octagonal bracing for a couple of years now, it makes for a very strong top. If eurobracing fails it's in the corners most of the time.
[/quote]
No way the corners?? :D But yeah I will attest with first hand knowledge those are the weakest of points :D

I wonder if he can't make a little be less regular of an octagon though. oh well, I'm sure it's plenty strong, and it's hard to get a sense for how open the tank really is.
If you wish to use magnets, which work very well in limited access tanks consider using a super algae pad or sock http://mightymagnets.com/pads.htm#dozier especially if you have sand. The sand can get trapped in the sock, but there is very little pressure exerted on the sand grain as they tend to get trapped in the depressions of the weave.
Kind of topic jumping here, but what magnet do you use with these pads? I know specific versions will differ with thickness of your tank walls, but talking to Ian convinced me to make the plunge, he says he uses a magnavore (can get a decent price at OTA apparently), do you use the mighty magnet brand? hammerhead? Any advice for sizing? Should you actually size the magnet to your tank walls? or a little bit bigger to account for thickness of the pads?

[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4902.msg65257#msg65257 date=1227154068]
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Just to update the build here.
This is a teaser pic from Gen today.
He still needs to cut the opening for the overflow, trim, polish and drill the overflow drains.

939_19_11_08_9_07_10.JPG

For some reason, the tank looks really small from the picture. :)

[/quote]

Are you going to have Gen route the corners? I think it looks really slick and he does it for free.

Phong...when was the last time you use WMS? He recently got a new computerize sheet cutter that seems to help a lot. He built four very large tanks for me with it and to be honest, the seaming looks pretty dang good. Probably even better than TruVue, IMO. Everyone that checked out his work was surprised how he had come along. I guess all the pestering helps...lol.

Back