Cali Kid Corals

Advice to cut rock-hard coral underwater?

Have you tried calling one of your orthopedic surgeon friends? They have the real bone cutters, and the strength to use them.

Stylos are tough. Drain and dremmel is a for sure way that won't send you to one of your peers for a shoulder mri.

I've used the dremel extension and it works for a day, then rust binds the tool up so treat it as a single use.
This coral is significantly harder to cut through than real bone. You’re right about maybe needing a stronger operator though

@JVU I’m following along because I’ve had the same issue cutting ORA stellar stylo. Curious if you’re also dosing strontium but I think this super toughness is a species trait because a few of my acros have this “titanium” like skeleton but not all. I’ve also tried two sizes of bone cutters & the Maxspect Coral Hand Saw. I ended up having to remove the whole colony from the rock and band saw it.

@JVU I’m following along because I’ve had the same issue cutting ORA stellar stylo. Curious if you’re also dosing strontium but I think this super toughness is a species trait because a few of my acros have this “titanium” like skeleton but not all. I’ve also tried two sizes of bone cutters & the Maxspect Coral Hand Saw. I ended up having to remove the whole colony from the rock and band saw it.
Yeah sounds like a similar experience. I am dosing strontium but just at whatever the standard dose is in Triton Core7. Certainly tougher than any other hard corals I have.

I have this saw. Sawed away for like 20 min until my arms were too tired to continue and made maybe 1 mm indent. I’ve used this to cut other thick coral pretty easily before. The reason I kept sawing with it when it obviously wasn’t working was because I couldn’t believe it wasn’t.
In that case, you’ll need Chuck Norris!

B3594924-C391-425B-9467-CC19468FF90C.jpeg

There's a cable like saw to cut wood and other things, sort of like a string you work with both hands; not sure of the specific name of it but might do the trick?

I would just be careful with a Dremel in a partially full tank. I don't know about other model but mine is not auto shutoff if you were to release it. So if you drop it in the water.... I might try the long-handled cutters first

Interesting
That's the one popped up first, there are diamond coated SS wires available.
Eric is right, a really nice tool for tight spots.
*Must add that for camping/backpacking is also of great use instead of left behind or dull hatchets.

Your best bet is the mini bolt cutters. Just wash off the oil film with soap; re-apply oil after using them to prevent rust.

All the other tools are too big and clumsy to get into your tank or into tight spaces.

Only problem with bolt cutters is they don't open wide. Even 14" ones only can cut up to 8mm.
Same with the coral cutters. I take snips at the base and wear away the hard coral with the blades. Think like a lumberjack taking down a big tree. Then eventually with enough wear the coral will snap off. That's how I got my big stylo off.

Back