Cali Kid Corals

DBTCX-Leng Sy cap

Well I'm not sure where to get dow flakes otherwise I might try randy's recipe. For the past week though I've been using kalk as my top off water source, I've been busy pretty much all week so I haven't tested my water, but with 100gallons of water I doubt it changed dramatically.

Kalk is good for maintaining levels, but to bump the Ca like for IO, you have to dose Dowflake, Turbo Calcium, etc first.

Order from Buckeye Field Supply. Good price.

I have some extra Dow Flake. I just switched to a reactor. I have one full 4lb bag and another at least half full. Ordered it from Buckeye.

Mr. Ugly said:
Whoohoo! After much arm twisting... hehehe, I have 2 confirmed frag farmers for the LS :)

Seminolecpa and Lefty!

I'll get the pieces fragged and let them recover in my tank while we get the arrangements made for the corals to go to their new homes.

Whoo hoo!

How about at the next meeting?

:D

Next meeting would work great :)

Wait... I'm supposed to take the frag to Hayward so you can take it back to your tank in Alameda? :D

:D

I guess if you want a more extensive tank walk through I could get it then! :mrgreen:

Otherwise, the meeting is prolly best!

2 frags of LS cap are suspended from fishing line in my tank right now :D

Almost the size/shape of half a tortilla chip, hahaha. Came from the curvy section on the top sorta left in the pic for this thread.

wow, okay, you have a bunch of different frags on the don't break the chain.. f you have any more frags (of this or others) for this project, i'd like to help move the project along.. i'm local (teach and live in oakland) and will definitely pass along the chain..

Thanks guys. For this one, I only have 2 frags. They're already spoken for and will be delivered.

Next round of frags will be from Seminolecpa and Lefty.

They'll post here when ready, so be sure to check back periodically :)

Can't wait for another one of these frags to be ready. I've been waiting for a chance to replace the one I lost in my tank crash.

out of curiosity what is a Ly Seng cap? its green with a purple rim correct? So what distinguishes this between any other one? I even saw one refered to as a "Jap Cap" simply said green with purple rim.

edit: nevermind, found a page that mentions it, it's some guy's cap that grew that color, and apparently there are no "real" :roll: ones.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/capricornismostwanted.htm

There were mega long threads on RC about "real" LS.

This piece one came from SandDollar, who got it from Mike Paletta. Paletta got his originally from Leng Sy, but his was lost. It was supposed to have come back from some remaining growth down inside his live rock. Kinda like how your pink cap is trying to come back! :)

Ahhh a mysterious "one was found" bit of info, I'll save the RC drama alone though if its green and has a purple rim, it's all the same for me :) I've seen way too many corals change colors in weird ways (in my own tank no doubt!) so saying one is a particular "rarer" coral than another is meh.. I dunno. Anyways according to that bit I read his cap is really just a brown cap, it just happened to turn green and purple :)

I got a purple rimmed green cap from Gabe not too long back, unfortunately it lost its purple rim under my crappy MH lights, but replacements are on the way, hopefully my gf is accepting the UPS shipment at home as I type this (at work) :)

Eitherway not to bash your coral Norman, it looks cool, just don't get the whole naming bit terribly much.

And yup my Luscious pink is coming back, hopefully it'll be as luscious as ever! Right now it looks primarily orange with luscious pink rim, but on a finger nail clipping size who's to say what is the rim :)

Re names... sure.

Actually, I have a green/purple no name that I got from Steve for $15, and I think it looks better than the LS :)

Mainly, I put the LS on here because it's kinda interesting from a "historical" POV, it's got a controversial story, some people are into the LE aspect, and it does look nice :)

Also, I got it as blah brown frag at the June BAR swap, so it's cool that it's grown out so much and I like that it can go back into the community :)

Funny about the swap. The frag was sitting around after quite a few picking rounds. I figured that most people were interested in more colorful pieces, and the rest were probably thinking, "meh.... LS.. no such thing". I just wanted a purple green cap :D

I believe the LS cap the purple rim is much "thicker" than the regular purple rim cap. It's suppose to be around 1" or so. I have a purple rim cap from the BAR work shop too. The rim is only like 1/10" ..

Oh, I also would like to be in line for a frag of this please :D

Elite
How is the growth of your purple rim cap from frag workshop. My growing slow but may be ready to frag a 1" piece for dont break the chain.

OK, very slow compare to other caps. I think it's because my water parameter is messed up :D .. I think I can frag a 1"x1" piece :) ..

Btw, check out Karl's Leng Sy -> Paletta -> TFP cap.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=868004

Looks the same as this one (Leng Sy -> Paletta -> Sand Dollar) under 20k.

Back