got ethical husbandry?

Ramen

phishphood said:
Dang, for packaged stuff I grew up on Top Ramen like Tony. I remember back when I was a little kid my mom would seriously make 5 or 6 packages in one big pot for the whole family with some eggs and scrap meat tossed in. But since then I like Maruchan, but you gotta make sure you get it on the super big sales some places have.

In terms of places to go, I've never been to Tanpopo before, but I just might check it out this weekend. I've been to Santa in San Mateo, Halu in Santa Clara and Maru Ichi in Milpitas. Hands down Santa has the better stuff, but Halu is worth it if you're in the area. It's a totally different kind of flavor.

There is another Ramen place in Milpitas on Dixon Landing inside the Lion Plaza. Can't remember the name those.

iani said:
Tanpopo is a great spot. I like the ankake ramen. My favorite packaged ramen is Myojo Chukazanmai ramen.

518RPGZ448L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Remember I think I am the only one that is actually Japanese in this thread. JK

Ian, but the brand in chinese says "Three flavors of China" :). Arnold, you should be able to buy it in any chinese grocery store. You have to cook it for quite a while though (not just hot water). I have to agree with Ian, it is the best tasting packed noodles that I had so far.

Erick said:
Santa Ramen is good, but it's also $8+ a bowl it keeps going up the better you make it, the stewed pork is a must add but it adds like another $4 dollars....

Best packet imo is Nongshim no need to add any spices, egg if you're pro. (Caution if you are not into spicy food it may burn you twice)
Shinramyun.jpg

Best .10 cents a ton ramen imo is probably maruchan ramen (beef)
goodygiftbox_1954_16924206

oh my god. that shin will make your hole burn!! i don't recommend using a little bit of water and all the spice packets. its super super hot. i use a slice of cheese with it. it makes it taste like spicy cheese noodles. :)

tonggao said:
iani said:
Tanpopo is a great spot. I like the ankake ramen. My favorite packaged ramen is Myojo Chukazanmai ramen.

518RPGZ448L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Remember I think I am the only one that is actually Japanese in this thread. JK

Ian, but the brand in chinese says "Three flavors of China" :). Arnold, you should be able to buy it in any chinese grocery store. You have to cook it for quite a while though (not just hot water). I have to agree with Ian, it is the best tasting packed noodles that I had so far.

Figures, haha. I didn't know. Arnold the Japanese markets in Japan town have them. They also have them at 99 ranch.

Damn ... this is my favorite food discussion. I am crazy about ramen and always looking for the best ramen shop. I also hunt for good ramen shop everywhere (NYC, LA, even in Japan)
I myself is a big fan of Ramen Halu. After that I will list Ramen Santa and Maruichi. There are 4 basic ramen soup, which is tonkotsu (pork flavor), miso(bean), soyu( soy souce) and sio (salt). I am a big fan of tonkotsu soup.
The current trend, including in Japan is a blend soup. Mainly soyu (which is chicken broth base) and tonkotsu. Ramen Halu is a sample of the blend soup. Eventhough Ramen Santa did not say so on the menu, but I am kind of sure they blend some tonkotsu into their soyu ramen.
A real ramen shop, should not put too much MSG. It will take about 10 hours or so to make a good soup. Some in Japan even let the soup to "sleep" for 3 days before they serve the ramen.
In Japan, if you get the chance, they even have a Ramen Museum, where you can taste so many different ramen in one place. Most of famous ramen shop in Japan has a representative in that museum.
In US, for my ramen journey, the best ramen shop is called Ippudo, which is located in Manhattan. In fact, I am typing this in Manhanttan and will visit Ippudo tomorrow. Ippudo is well known also in Japan. When you get in Ippudo in Manhattan, you seems entering a night club rather than a ramen shop.
I am in food industry and dealing a lot with Japanese Restaurant business too. The trend/direction in Japanese restaurant is to popularize ramen as the next sushi restaurant here in US. We'll see if that will come true. So I am surprise seeing this thread and realize the ramen fan in US are increasing.
Sorry for my rumble. Let's exchange ramen shop info and enjoy them! ... :)

Ramen museum in Japan is excellent. My personal favorite type would be Hakata, but seeing as I have a hard time finding that here in the states tonkotsu works for me.

Radio, you said you were in the food industry? Do you happen to need any contacts in DPI?

Radiolunatic said:
Damn ... this is my favorite food discussion. I am crazy about ramen and always looking for the best ramen shop. I also hunt for good ramen shop everywhere (NYC, LA, even in Japan)
I myself is a big fan of Ramen Halu. After that I will list Ramen Santa and Maruichi. There are 4 basic ramen soup, which is tonkotsu (pork flavor), miso(bean), soyu( soy souce) and sio (salt). I am a big fan of tonkotsu soup.
The current trend, including in Japan is a blend soup. Mainly soyu (which is chicken broth base) and tonkotsu. Ramen Halu is a sample of the blend soup. Eventhough Ramen Santa did not say so on the menu, but I am kind of sure they blend some tonkotsu into their soyu ramen.
A real ramen shop, should not put too much MSG. It will take about 10 hours or so to make a good soup. Some in Japan even let the soup to "sleep" for 3 days before they serve the ramen.
In Japan, if you get the chance, they even have a Ramen Museum, where you can taste so many different ramen in one place. Most of famous ramen shop in Japan has a representative in that museum.
In US, for my ramen journey, the best ramen shop is called Ippudo, which is located in Manhattan. In fact, I am typing this in Manhanttan and will visit Ippudo tomorrow. Ippudo is well known also in Japan. When you get in Ippudo in Manhattan, you seems entering a night club rather than a ramen shop.
I am in food industry and dealing a lot with Japanese Restaurant business too. The trend/direction in Japanese restaurant is to popularize ramen as the next sushi restaurant here in US. We'll see if that will come true. So I am surprise seeing this thread and realize the ramen fan in US are increasing.
Sorry for my rumble. Let's exchange ramen shop info and enjoy them! ... :)

We will see you in Ippudo :D btw, are Chinese yellow noodles consider ramen?

Gomer said:
Tanpopo? Have you seen the movie Tampopo?!!! Highly revevent! Do you apologize to the pork by saying 'see you soon.'?

Speaking of food apologies... I love this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0fEJt54vxI

7a7f268f.jpg

this is my favorite packaged ramen and comes from either osaka or fukuoka. i've searched all the j-town markets and asian supermarkets in sf but have been unsuccessful in finding it. if anyone sees this in a shop in the bay area, please let me know. totemo oishi desu.

i've been told that ramen in japan is like fast food.

I think I've seen the at Pusan Plaza in Oakland. I'll check next weekend :)

2354 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94612-2421

Back