Jestersix

Corals B 4 Bills 225 Lee Mar Starfire Inwall tank

The TOTM on RC is exactly how I would like to do it, my tank now has 320 lbs. of live rock and it looks like a wall of rocks. This time it will have dimension to the rock structure, plus a cove for my monster Gigas :).

Yeah learning how to place rock is almost an art form. I think everyone started with "wall of rock" even if they didn't mean to, a pillar here or there, then oh I'll put this rock in.. and there.. and ahh damn that looks like a rock wall. There are quite a few tanks from members I've seen which I really like the aquascaping, Rich for one is just spectacular, Arnold even though he looks like a wall of rock, it's all grown in, and obviously there's space behind that rock since all his fish are usually hiding :D, Lapsan has a really nice rock structure, Bryan. Lots of good examples out there. However when corals really start growing in is when your rock structure really pays off. Of course dimensions on a tank really say something too, I couldn't do what you want on my 72" long by 18" wide tank that's for sure.

That's why my wife and I debated so much on tank width with the new tank, I didn't want my rock and corals smashed up against the glass and she didn't want her house looking like a LFS. So I get my 30" wide reef and stuff 5" in the wall and she has a living room still. I may have to sell 100 lbs. of rock because even though I have a 100 gal. sump I want to use the large section of it for a frag tank.

Marine Depot JUST showed up and dropped off my new Reeflo "Snapper" return/fuge pump, and a bulk head that I can almost put my hand through. Good thing the previous owner set-up his sump with the same pump maker as me, he originally had a Dart but he said it was too powerful, if he had to do it again he would buy the snapper instead. The way he designed his Sump/Fuge is that the water comes from the sump into the pump and tee's off of the return line back into the fuge via a ball valve. here's pics of my new pump..........oooooo I can smell the bearing grease as we speak! ;D

If you're building this in wall the walls themselves will help dampen the sound greatly as well, that being said, don't know how to make one quieter than another so sorry :)

Since you have two drains, you can put a ball valve on one so that it runs at full siphon and doesn't draw any air. It would carry the majority of the water and be almost completely silent. That drain needs to be lower than the other.

The second drain would carry the remaining water, which would be just a small trickle that would flow down the side of the pipe due to surface tension.

I think someone mentioned this design in another thread here recently. I've seen it described elsewhere too.

Don't do what I did. I have a sigle HOB overflow and I just rated my return pump to match it. It's quite as can be but if it gets clogged I'll bein deep doo doo. I've got patial clogs before with no issues so far (fingers crossed :) )

So after cleaning out the cash in my wallet I bought and laid out the plunbing for the new tank, see what $300 of Sch 80 gets you. If you see anything wrong with the plan please let me know, I will be going with the flooded drain.

BTW I am missing a ball valve from the sump to the pump, they ran out.

Back