Our mission

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

nanocube-guy said:
wish you luck on reviving it!

Thanks a lot.

I just finished round one of dipping, basting and brushing off the montipora/s.

I actually had to use a sharp chisel, and carefully chip the last three montis off the live rock (no kidding). I was going to post some pictures, but I couldn't bear to see them on my journal page. People will just have to take my word for it. One is a red digitata with a greenish gold body and nice red polyps on it. The other is a red nedoza; and the other a red setosa. Those corals were just starting to take off nicely after a year of being in one place. I'm glad none of my rock work collapsed.

I'm looking at my display now and it's looking really nice. I'm feeling really confident that I'm going to beat these devils. I can already see the results from the Revive. The nudis turned gray and crapped out after being dipped for 10 minutes. There were intervals of blasting them to high Heaven 0:) with the baster, followed by a good tooth bushing to get those bugger off the colonies. This seems like an aggressive enough approach, and the corals didn't seem any worse for the wear. Plus, I find it a cathartic exercise.

I haven't really had my hands in the tank, like this for months and months. I was just getting use to just enjoying the tank and all the growth I'd gotten. I sort of like all the room I've made as a result. I have drawn up a re-design plan on paper to take advantage of the high price real estate it freed up.

Thanks for reading my thread and posting back. Much appreciated. At first, I felt dirty cause those buggers are devilishly disgusting. Then angry as hell. This Club didn't scoff a bit; and has been very supportive. I've gotten terrific feedback on these boards too. Thx again.

Just found this resource online. Everything you want to know about M.E.N..

The Montipora Eating Nudibranch (09/11/06) / Feature Articles In the Search Box, type nudibranch
- the link is near bottom of list. http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Feature-Articles/The-Montipora-Eating-Nudibranch-(09/11/06)

Click here for Nudibranch Photo
http://www.qualitymarine.com/image.aspx?id=E8791AFF-E74A-4927-87D3-FBB0CCA6B130

I learned that if M.E.N. don't have a host, they can last for apx 2 months, but that's not set in stone. Also, M.E.N. can live on live rock near surrounding places montis were placed till they can find their next victim. So I did not relocate any of the pieces near where I dislodged them from.... I read that besides Coris Wrasses, certain crabs will eat M.E.N. too, but the article did not discuss which crabs would rid them. The articled stated that predators such as the Coris Wrasses are not always an effect means of control, because M.E.N. live in crevices which make it difficult for these fish to get at them.

That's it from M.E.N. headquarters. :davie:

Joel I went through the same thing; still don't know where those pesky things hitch hiked on; I reacted too late to the invasion and lost all montis but a frag I was able to chip off.
Good luck

xcaret said:
Joel I went through the same thing; still don't know where those pesky things hitch hiked on; I reacted too late to the invasion and lost all montis but a frag I was able to chip off.
Good luck

Sorry to hear about that. Mine are hanging in there, but they're not enjoying the routine. I'll keep dipping and think I'll beat these pests eventually. 6 months is a long time to be dipping, but I'm committed.... I have 7 or 8 montis, but lost an undata, superman and rainbow before getting a handle on them. They work pretty fast. The corals seem to tolerate the Revive pretty well considering the fact I'm brushing and blasting them with the baster.

Your Hydnophoras are getting really big.

Joel

Reef Date 08/17/10

PEST REPORT

I had to cut out (all my Montis) after Jeremy discovered Monti Eating Nudies in my display. The upside is it's freeing up a lot of prime real estate. I hate those #X*!! (expletive, expletive) The tank is still showing well even thought I had to remove more than a years worth of growth. Now I'm dipping the mother colonies in Revive (1 cap p/qt) every 4 days, blasting with baster, for 10 minutes over the next 2-3 months.

Another BIG SHOUT OUT TO DR. JEREMY for his Diagnosis, Revive, and Moral Support.

Even after all this still, I'm still loving reefing.

r0ck0 said:
Thats nice rock work, looks good.

THX R0ck0.

Was just going to post the Before and After photos. This display will be 3 yrs. come April. I sort of like the clean look of the Before photo, but not as many places to place a lot of corals as in the After rock work.

Thx for following and for posting too. BTW: Love Eel Sushi - fresh or saltwater yum

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/5350_15_07_09_2_58_36.JPG__0.jpeg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_9803_0.JPG

12/19/2010 STOPPED DIPPING MONTIs for Nudibrachs. I may have to keep dipping Purple Haze. No infestation reappearing past 3 weeks. Also, New 1262 Enheim return pump arrived after I discovered what was ailing the Ocean Runner 3500 - now working like new. Going to take the Ehneim 1262 out of the box and for a test drive in the next few days.

Been busy with redesign, and am very pleased with new Bubble/s Cave: Sunshine (Sailfin Tang) seems to interacting with it well; and corals seem to be spaced/placed well too. Pictured on rear right side.Also removed about 30lbs of sand bed from cave entrances for better access.

Enjoy / Merry Christmas :santa:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_9798.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_9803.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_9807.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_9809.JPG

Note to self: Overdue, List frags from August, '10 Swap /add photos....

Reorder
4 / T5s - 4 / SVHOs- 2 or 4 MHs check out the ushios vs coralife reeflux w/ JF

h20player101 said:
Gorgeous! Like the rock work especially.

Thank you :bigsmile:

Everybody should check out the game called Fishville created by Zynga; I'm not sure if it can be played off of the Facebook page. It's worth a look. Caution: It can be addictive and sucks up a lot of time, which has been keeping me off the BARS boards al lot (to the liking of the Host Server no doubt) :shy:

Enjoy :santa:

JAR said:
looking good Joel.

Thank you Jon. I'm honored. I know you know how much goes into these displays, so I take that as a hugh compliment. I hope your tank is doing well and enjoy happiness through out the season. :santa:

Reef Keeper said:
Coral reefer said:
I see your problem, they are both cool! Time for a second tank!

Next tank will most likely be a seahorse / pipe fish tank.

Gomer said:
Please say you'll do a seagrass lagoon :-D

"I will...." If I ever set up a seahorse tank, it would have to be a seagrass set up. I've wanted to do this right for years now, but I don't believe in having them if it's not done right.

Over the past year, or so, I've learned that seahorses don't mix well with other fish and corals, so it seems a seagrass set up would be best for them. Providing a suitable diet has been another important consideration which has kept me away from keeping them. It's not likely I'll have a seahorse set up anytime soon, as I want to provide a good habitat for them, and I don't feel comfortable enough to get it started yet. I really enjoyed the seagrass displays the Monterey Bay Aquarium exhibited so time ago.

Thank you for following my Tank Journal post/s and for responding too. It's good hearing from you. Hope all is well and that you are enjoying the Holiday Season. :santa:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1249.JPG

Reef Keeper said:
Note to self: Overdue, List frags from August, '10 Swap /add photos....

Reorder 4 / T5s - 4 / SVHOs- 2 or 4 MHs check out the ushios vs coralife reeflux w/ JF

Here Goes:

Orange / Red Center / Yellow Skirt ZOAs - SF Boarders - Lower left corner

Agaricia - CWolfus - Top left front

Gold Leptastria / Hells Flames - CWolfus - Top left front - may move down on reef soon, it may be getting too much flow

Turquoise w / pink eye Chalice - CWolfus - Lower left of center front - Bright pink - A real gem

ORA Purple Chalice
- Coralreefer - Mike - Lower center front

Tri Color Purple Tip Acro
- No name on container -Top left of center back - Grows fast, don't see purple tips

Red Millepora
(a real beauty :0) ) - Reefer - Top right back of reef

Raspberry Millepora
- Perculation - Edward - Top left of center back

Rainbow Monti
( stunner) - Raffle Aquatic Collection - Mr. Ugly - Top left front ledge

Woolly Mammoth
- JAR - Top left of center of front ledge - Infamous coral from HI I've heard

Red Prostrada
(starting to color up) - Murph - Top back left of center

Cactus Pavona
(deep bluish purple / very hairy sweepers) - Vinceama - Last round free for all - Bottom front left ledge, may move

Thx to all for bringing some really nice pieces. Hope to make the Feb Swap :santa:

Pictures to follow.....
:glasses:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0026.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0031.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0038.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0039.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0048.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0075.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0085.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0088.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0097.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0125_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0140.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0141.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0146.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0282.JPG

Back