Cali Kid Corals

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

Susan and I just returned home from Maui after celebrating my 50th, :party: and I had a chance to catch up on the "New Posts" this evening.

I'm glad to see all the happenings, and am looking forward to the April meeting / lecture. I was glad to learn that Jermey's family is safe as I feel the Tsunami hits very close to home for us coastal loving folks. I was sadden to hear about the death of the Orca Trainer at Sea World (Third attack - Terrible) too.

February, in Maui, is Humpback Whale breeding season and I took some decent video of my day on the Paholo Strait between Makawao and Lahaina with the Pacific Whale Foundation folks. Here is a link to my You Tube site for your enjoyment. Feel free to view the other stuff I have there too.

The video is better than the still.

I'm going to include this fuzzy Whale Fluke photo that was out about 2000' I caught from land. And after taking dozens of whales photos, (Orca, Blue, Gray and Humpback) it's the first time I was able to capture a fluke on film.

IMG_5537.jpg

I'm currently looking for a good digital camera and a HD Flash memory camcorder. I'm considering Canon to fit both bills and hoping to complete my purchases before my Baltic trip in a couple of months. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
New Additions 03/05/10

Made the trip up to Tropical Reef. I like Susan and Michael, and they always try to make it worth the trip to shop there.

I purchased 5 blue green chromis, 4 peppermint shrimp, rainbow cloves (nice little colony 4 or 5 heads) been wanting these ever since I saw Eight's last year. Also, 3 "tank raised" hippocampus (seahorses), and lastly I finally found a yellow branching p. porites: I was hoping to find p. divaricata but Gresham may surprise me as he said he has a piece of porites saved for me.

Pictures to follow shortly.

Link to Seahorse live streaming and videos:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/joel-s-humble-100

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

Image of Rainbow Reef Figi I love

images.jpg

New Frag Additions 3/13/10

War Coral - Tuberider
Leng Sy - Screebo
Tyree Original Undata - Screebo

Pictures to follow note Leng Sy and Undata are not going to show as well in the photos as the War Coral, as they need to color up and gain some size, but they are already proving their value in the display tank.

Thanks to Tuberider and to Screebo
for trusting me with their valuable gems. :crown:

Fishville

Here is my new fish tank on Facebook. Join in on the fun. 0:)

It's called Fishville. Take a look. :glasses:

Here's the link to the new set up: http://apps.facebook.com/fishville/index.php?appRef=flashRedirectHome

Photos
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=135823&id=100000624057587

Long Time No Posts.

This is a good one.

Here is a link to my latest Coral Reef Tank Video that I broadcasted live last night after finally getting my connection, camera, and Producer software to jive. Terrific results. You be the judge....

Just skip past the 1st 22 minutes as the colors get much better

Here's the link: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6332742

nanocube-boy said:
Hahaha fishville is fun!

Be careful out there and remember to chg your pref in account settings to avoid

Quote from a board member.
I saw this on the news 2 nights ago, a new thing FB's doing. Here is the post with instx to adjust your Preferences.

FACEBOOK is at it again...violating your personal information: As of today, there is a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." Go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites and uncheck "Allow". Please copy & repost Comment

My profile is under locked... only friends can see my Profile. hehehehe if u want to add me, PM... first how would i add u as neighbor in it? PM and answer... :)

NOTE TO SELF:
REPLACED 1 48" T5 Super Blue from Commodity-Axis only one left. Last replaced T5 on 3/16/09. Reorder 4 more.

Back from 3wk holiday/ Baltics

"Salinity" held up perfectly. Great readings, N03, PH, MG, ALK, CA, Gravity. Did 25G W/C.

No losses. 0:)

Reef Log 08/15/10

Equipment Note: Reeflux 20K MHs will be 1 yr old the 21th of August. Still going strong and nice crisp blues.

Great BAR Frag Swap this year. Picked a number of interesting pieces this years 3 from Charles. Wohoo. :party:

The trip to St. Petersburg via London, Estonia, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and Denmark, was great. The tank responded admirably on the 2 Drews 2 Part dosers; and the water quality was very good too.

More pictures and notes to follow.

Notes on Charles Frags.

I believe the chalice originally came from Radiolunatic and is a "name brand" coral, though i have no idea which. I kept it on the bottom in low light and was always happy with the beautiful blue/green and pink.

The "Gold leptastria" is actially a "Flames of hell Leptastria". I couldn't remember the name while labeling. I keep it in a variety of places and all do well,
including next to my SPS under heavy light and flow and mid level in the tank.
In my tank it looks more yellow, but I have a lot of actinics
, so your mileage may vary.

The Agaricia i
s a great catch
. It was very rare on the west coast,
until I brought 8 pieces to the swap. It grows fast on the bottom next to my chalices
in a higher light location. Also seems to to well with more light, though I never tried to pound it at the very top. My experience is the base gets lighter tan the more light it gets so place according to your tastes.

Thanks for asking about the corals. Always good to know they were grabbed up by the right people!

ttyl

Back