Neptune Aquatics

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

Mr. Ugly said:
Nice :D

Very cool blue sponge too!

Thanks for noticing. :glasses: I've had that sponge for almost 2 years, but it's been getting scraggly year after year; and not sure how to get it bulked up. I tried Seachem Fuel which seem to work, but it was adding too much nutrients to the tank. Now, I'm using Reef Nutrition's OysterFeast and SF Bay Rotifer hoping the sponge will find it nutritious.

R.K.

I wouldn't worry about the pump, from time to time the impeller will jump around in the housing and hang up, it's pretty rare though for it to not restart IME.

tuberider said:
Looks great Joel!! Good work!

Thanks Dude, :)

I couldn't have done it as well without your help. ;)

How about that Ponape ha? A real looker. :love: I can see why Seminolcpa likes BNs.

It's been a pretty stress free experience filled with enjoyment, now that everything is settled in. I hardly ever have to have my hands in the tank these days.

Thank you for dropping in on my thread and giving me the good reef keeping seal of approval. Much appreciated. 0:)

I noticed last night, around 8pm, our power going in and out for a couple of seconds at a time (apparently a power line in El Granada took out 500 homes there and we're on that grid) I'm mentioning it, because my Ocean Runner 3500 didn't restart as it using does when the power is off (which has me concerned). :Sp

Someone told me that the OR3500, by design, is known to do that. Since it's been bullet proof the past couple of years, I'm wondering if I should replace the impeller or throw in a Via Aqua 1450 GPH pump I've been using to move water from my 50 gallon barrel in the garage to my sump before I go on vacation? :party:

I was able to restart the impeller, by loosening the impeller cover and spun the impeller manually while the pump was energizer. It kicked right over and that was the end of that. When the tank drains back into the sump, the Formosa and Staghorn tips are exposed to the air; and I perceive that to be potentially a lethal problem. :tired:

Thanks again and KIT. I'll be around watching the Superbowl. If you're not doing anything feel free to drop on in. :beer:

tuberider said:
I wouldn't worry about the pump, from time to time the impeller will jump around in the housing and hang up, it's pretty rare though for it to not restart IME.

COOL. So GTK. Much appreciated. You're a Life / Tank Saver. :bigsmile:

Check this out :glasses:

Here is a link to my broadcast " Joel's Humble 100." I need to tweak the lighting a bit and get closer to the tank, but this is a very good 1st attempt to run it 24/7. This way I can check in on my system in real time with no delay anywhere I can get a internet connection. :bigsmile:

I know some of you will be all over this. Let me know if you need help getting it set up. It took me about 5 hours to get it dialed in (software conflicts), but now I can probably do in 5 minutes. H)

Here's my link http://www.ustream.tv/channel/joel-s-humble-100

As long as my broadcast is online, you'll be able to watch live. Otherwise, please check back and feel free to alert me via PM if my broadcast is offline, so I can correct the matter.

Since I'm on a Mac there isn't a HD Flash Media software version out for it yet. Those of you on Windows will get much better Res on their broadcasts....

Visit my Tank Journal thread: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161

SoulFish said:
Nice! Dont forget and walk into the fish room in your undies. It'll end up on youtube

Gomer said:
There is a reason I'll never have a webcam of my tank from that perspective.. I sometimes check out my fish/coral after getting out of the shower ;)

I knew someone or persons would say that. H)

You didn't miss a beat. :O

Kudos you guys. ;)

I had to remember to turn the audio off too.

Since I'm going to be primarily streaming while away from home, I don't think I'll get into any trouble. I will have the opportunity to see what my house / pet sitter is doing, which may prove to be more interesting than me in my b-day suit. :party:

I just finished ordering a better webcam than my PS3 Eye. The new Logitech QuickCam Orbit AF. It has Carl Zeiss Optics, HD 720p, auto focus, auto tracking, fast 30fps and 2.0MP x 1200 pixels. Should be here by Wednesday.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-QuickCam-Orbit-Focus-System/dp/B000UY1OMY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265529604&sr=1-3

Thanks for landing on my thread and for commenting too.

Please PM :mail: me if you see anyone breaking into our home :davie: ,or if you see it burning down :evil: .

Streaming Video Update 02/11/10

Looks like best time for viewing is when only the T5 light is on between 9-10AM and again between 10-11PM PST. There appears to be less glare and deeper color saturation. You can see the large desdra clam and the other nice corals.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/joel-s-humble-100/v2

If anyone has any suggestions on how to filter the MHs so I can get this kind of saturation please advise.

Hooked up the Logitech Orbit AF today. Only problem is their software doesn't run on Apple's OS. It may be time for me to partition my computer and run Windows on it. The colors and defitionion is better than the PS3 Eye. This Logitech Orbit AF has 2 MPs with 720P HD.

Thx,
Joel

mpoletti said:
Very nice Joel. Thank you for sharing your tank with us :)

Hi Mark,

You're most welcome. :bigsmile:

Thanks for dropping in on my thread. I hope you had a chance to check out the UStream site. It would be pretty cool to check out you tank in real time. I'm hoping in time other Club Members will get hooked too, and throw their tanks up on UStream. :love:

I have to Congraduluate you again on your RC TOTM recognition. "Great job." Seeing your commitment and artistry over the years has been an inspiration and has given me the drive to do this hobby right; and stay with it. ;)

Have a terrific time, Saturday, if you're going to the Swap. Though I think it would be a difficult task to fit one more piece in your showcase. 8)

Hey Link,

Go to this URL (below) Click on the login and you'll have the option to "Log In" or "Register." Next, register yourself for an account. Then hook up your webcam, select USB from the drop down, click start broadcasting, Then click on "Allow" when the box pops up . You can then click on the setting tab in the preferences to "smooth" and mark Higher Resolution if your camera has higher resolution, then look for the player format 16.9 or 4.3 in the Advance Settings too. Here is a link to my tank broadcast. There'll be a button to create an account (it's simple). You'll figure it out. You'll have to drill down through some of tabs, but don't give up and have fun.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/joel-s-humble-100, or USTREAM.com if my link does not let you sign in and create an account.

Shoot me back you account name so I can follow you.

Joel

I found these going through some old files of Ye Olde 38g glass set up that I had going for 10 years prior to my 100g aquarium.

IMG_296.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0263-1.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

I miss this tank, but it wasn't nearly as forgiving as the 100g is. I've learned a lot since those days, thanks in large part to this club. If I could only find an another Triton (sp?).

Enjoy

Updated 02/26/10

I just installed the new UStream Producer software and it has improved the real time image quality.

While the HD Flash media plug-in is still not available for OSX, my HD web cam and the current SD UStream software for Apple's is providing better resolution than the previous version I was running earlier this month.

You can see for yourself... :glasses:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/joel-s-humble-100

Enjoy

hey joel, thanks for sharing the video! are you streaming off a wireless network? it looks a little like slow motion or do your fish swim like that normally?

glee said:
hey joel, thanks for sharing the video! are you streaming off a wireless network? it looks a little like slow motion or do your fish swim like that normally?

Hi Glee,

No: I'm hard wired. The fish do swim pretty much the way you see them in the vid.

Also, I just had an old modem that was slowing thing up and a short in my phone line. So the replacement modem arrived yesterday, and I had the outside wiring repaired, so it should be working better and have better resolution too. The Producer Program hogs a lot of CPU power and Virtual Memory too even though I have a blazing fast computer.

I'm waiting for Ustream to give us a HD Macromedia Flash Plug-In. I'm also planning on getting some software that will let me run Windows based apps over my Mac, so I can us my zoom and other features my new HD web cam offers. Once I get the software, I can use Ustream's HD Windows based plug-ins too.

Let me know when you're on line.

KIT,
Joel

hey joel, thanks for the info. i would like to get this set up for mine as well, but there is no way i can run a clean hardwire to my breakfast room where my tank is. keep us posted when you all the software is in place

i'll let u know the next time i am online, but you have to promise not to run by your tank after a shower lol.
best, g

glee said:
hey joel, thanks for the info. i would like to get this set up for mine as well, but there is no way i can run a clean hardwire to my breakfast room where my tank is. keep us posted when you all the software is in place

i'll let u know the next time i am online, but you have to promise not to run by your tank after a shower lol.
best, g

:shy: Gotcha

Hi Phong,

I remember the days when I use to do the wc once a month. Those were the days. Most of time, the tank didn't care, it may have actually liked it, as I wasn't in there to disturb matter much. But now, with the stonies and such, I find I have too be more proactive, and this gives me a chance to check and test equipment and chemicals. Keep up the great job.

Thank you for looking and for your comments / compliments too.

Joel

Back