Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by WCKDVPR, May 31, 2017.

1. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

What is that fan called? And where can I get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I've got one of these which works really well. Don't waste your time with the tunze one.

[​IMG]

3. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I have 2 of those fans. Problem is they don't clamp on a tank with a rim.

4. ashburn2k

Add a wood brace that stands on the rim.

5. ashburn2k

Before I saw this, I was using this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

6. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Got a picture?

7. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

The cfm is a bit low on these

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sounds like a recipe for mold/rotten wood to me...

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Make one out of acrylic?

10. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

What kind of wood floor is it? Do you know if it is a floating floor or if it's nailed down or glued down? Does it have a wood or concrete subfloor? If you don't want to shim it then you'll need to scribe the bottom of the stand to the floor. I prefer this to shims anyway since there is 100% contact with the floor and stand. I asked about your flooring because if there is any gaps or voids between the flooring and the structure then when water is added then it will sink further down in those areas and your scribing will be meaningless. Ideally the floor will be a glued down floor over a concrete subfloor. Another thing to note is that laminate and prefinished flooring will have an aluminum oxide finish that is extremely durable and can handle shims. Just try not to hit the floor with the hammer when you're pounding them in.

Gablami likes this.
  11. WCKDVPR

WCKDVPR Supporting Member

Flagg37,

It is an engineered hardwood tongue and groove floor over a concrete slab - it is floating and is not nailed or glued down. I just put a 4' long level on the floor where the tank will be and the floor itself it is awfully level - which is a good sign.

If I put the stand on the floor and it is level and I don't need shims, thoughts on sticking a 1/8" thick yoga mat under the stand to protect the flooring? I put such a mat under my sump to reduce any focal stress points on the acrylic.

Thanks!

12. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I wouldn't put a yoga mat under your tank. You're liable to have the tank there for years. Who knows how the yoga mat will hold up, and probably will hold moisture more easily under it and damage your wood in a worse way. And if it starts to deteriorate with time you won't be able to get rid of it easily. I would leave it as it is designed to be.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. WCKDVPR

14. ashburn2k

Oh duh yes acrylic

15. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

We put our 100 gallon on wheels. It is great when I need to get behind the tank or we need to move it around. If I didn't put wheels, I would probably use felt squares so that in an emergency I could slide the tank and stand without scratching the floor.

16. ashburn2k

100g on wheels? i would be so nervous

17. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Why so nervous??

18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

19. WCKDVPR

Dri-Dek may be a plan. I would worry about the felt holding water and not sure how 2000 lbs would slide on wet felt.

20. ashburn2k