Our mission

Saturday, August 11th BAR Members swap

I will be bringing in a lot of frags around 10 to 20 to put on the table. :D
I wished I will have the time to frag the corals this weekend.

-perry/xinumaster

[quote author=chem-e link=topic=2141.msg22522#msg22522 date=1186046006]
Shoot... I'm going to miss out on all the goodies this time. Darn wedding that I got to go to.

Oh wellz, there's always next time.

Even though I'm not going to make the swap, I have a bunch of monti cap frags that I want to give. I have a lot of green w/ purple rim monti frags that I created while moving. I also have a couple orange monti caps frags. Is there anyone in the SF area (preferably in the Sunset/Richmond area :) ) that I can give my frags to to bring to the swap?
[/quote]

It sounds like we are neighbors. PM sent.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=2141.msg22612#msg22612 date=1186100294]
I will be bringing in a lot of frags around 10 to 20 to put on the table. :D[/quote]

Perry, who told you that you could bring more than the minimum "two frags"? j/k!

You da man :D

[quote author=saltwatersig link=topic=2141.msg22660#msg22660 date=1186161395]
just to be clear on the frags to bring......any coral frags will do? zoo's,gsp,mushrooms,candycanes?
[/quote]
Any 2 different frags. I would add however, that if you only bring 2, it's nice to make them med/lg.
thx-Jim

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2141.msg22623#msg22623 date=1186116894]
Need to schedule enough time to unpack, dip, and quarantine your frags after the swap too.
[/quote]I was wondering when someone would mention dip and QT...

Oh yeah, I plan on diluting too with around 10 BAR member quality frags. Gives me a better chance at that tri-color looking Acro Jim got.

[quote author=dzhuo link=topic=2141.msg22690#msg22690 date=1186170959]
do we need to bring our own container, bucket or bags and stuff to hold the frags? or will BAR provides that?
[/quote]

I would bring along a cooler or similar to put the frags into. Most frags should be in tupperware type containers. We've had some disasters in the past when people have used plastic bags ....

Ok, since there is no official sticky on the subject, I'll give the newbies a frag swap "how to" and over all feel.

First the fragging.

Fragging should be done in advance so as the animals have a chance to heal up a bit before being sent off. Many corals slime up as a "protection" unfortunately they do this in a large body of water so that the slime eventually goes away and the coral goes on it's merry way, if you stick that into a small body of water (container to bring the frag) you'll have it being choked out by it's own slime. Also this saves time by trying to frag up a bunch of stuff the morning of (right Norman? :D)

Mounting? Corals do not have to be mounted at all, while some do have preferences one way or another, it's not an absolute. Personally I like to mount stony corals onto lose pieces of small rock rubble I have lying around, but that's just me. Others might not like that and will snap the mounted frag off for dipping/pest purposes.

Packing frags? You will pack up frags in separate containers, not all in one container. Now this is done the morning of the event, simply because you want to minimize the time the frag stays in a small vessel of water. You want to make sure there is ample water in the container, more is better. special note You may want to have a bucket of fresh made salt-water ready to replace the water you use when packing corals, especially if it's a good amount of corals. IMO the best bang for your buck containers out there are those clear plastic deli containers you can buy at smart & final or other such stores, while Target/Walmart do sell gladware or other brands, Smart & Final's are much cheaper and are just as good, there are a variety of sizes you can choose from bigger is better but you don't always need a huge container, 8 to 16 ounces should be your target size. You can also use plastic bags, similar to those you'd get at a fish store, however they should be a thick mil plastic, and double bagging is ALWAYS useful. Under no circumstances should you ever use ziplock bags, they will leak, if you double bag the inside bag will leak, which will eventually make the outside bag leak, basically don't do it. You will lose your containers, they do not come back to you, however the corals you pick will most likely be in containers (those deli containers caught on like wild fire, and are quite popular) so simple wash them out after your corals you acquired and store them for the next swap. Spend $10-$20 on containers once, and you'll probably not have to do it again.

The day of the event

Show up, check in early. Go to the main room, your frags will be put on appropriate tables by the helpers, and usually you can look around and see what other people have brought, within reason. (Crowd control issues, so maybe only a few at a time looking, etc).

Everything else, the announcer will help you out with, and workers there will be wearing plain blue ball caps, so if you need help ask one of them and hopefully they can answer your questions.

Oh and as mentioned, you might want to bring a little styrofoam cooler or ice chest to put your frags in, especially if you have a long drive ahead of you back home, or are stopping off someplace.

Please label your containers with at least the common name of the coral. Any additional info would be helpful too, like:
Latin name
Care conditions/ recommendations (light, flow, feeding)
Your name
Your contact info
Any other info you think might be useful.
Thx-Jim
ps. use a waterproof marker!

There are label .docs and a PDF somewhere on the board here with spots for appropriate info (species, farmer et.).

The frustrating things for me at the Regional swap was that there were so many unlabeled containers it was very difficult to weed through and find what you want before Jim scared everyone away from the tables. (not your fault Jim, you've got a job to do and you do it well)

It's nice to know a little info on your frag in case you need to get in touch with the original farmer for advise etc.

Oh yeah it helps to tape the lid on and place tape over your label.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2141.msg22709#msg22709 date=1186175859]

The frustrating things for me at the Regional swap was that there were so many unlabeled containers it was very difficult to weed through and find what you want before Jim scared everyone away from the tables. (not your fault Jim, you've got a job to do and you do it well)
[/quote]

Thanks, and did I mention?

8 DAYS! 8 DAYS LEFT! LET'S GO, LET'S GO, LET'S GO!

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2141.msg22709#msg22709 date=1186175859]
There are label .docs and a PDF somewhere on the board here with spots for appropriate info (species, farmer et.).

It's nice to know a little info on your frag in case you need to get in touch with the original farmer for advise etc.

Oh yeah it helps to tape the lid on and place tape over your label.
[/quote]

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=701.0

Have fun everyone. We are going to have to sit this one out (most of you know why :)). We'll have to catch you on the next go 'round (too bad too as we have some corals that need trimming :().

Back