Neptune Aquatics

105 G Star fire- new tank

JAR said:
The reef tank is a grocery bag full of recurring costs.
My wife buys the groceries. I have to keep up with her somehow :D :bigsmile:

I'm not good at controlling expenses and it kills the fun, The simplest is just to make more money. :) now in 2013 I need to make at least 7k more.

The trick is to make the money before you set it up. You will spend so much time on your tank that you will have no time to make the extra cash :D

JAR said:
The trick is to make the money before you set it up. You will spend so much time on your tank that you will have no time to make the extra cash :D

Exactly, I have 10K budget for now, I was talking about next years expense. :)

denzil said:
Love that RSM tank.

Yep. I believe a lot on instincts and we love that RSM-500 from the time we looked at it. Then I searched and searched for similar custom made but some lack quality and some lack functions. Then you have to go custom to get the quality and features you want and then the price is really crazy so then comes the time to think why would I pay almost 3K more for the same things that I get by buying RSM s-500.

BTW, I looked into ELOS tanks too, even after paying 2K more I would not get two return pumps, they have only one and full length skimmer and also no lights, not even T5. And I do not believe the Tank quality is any better than RSM. RSM tanks glass are pretty clear and may be even better than Leemar or at least close to them. Also, the glass thickness is more in RSM tank so better.

A that's how it went. But I think I will love this tank and lots of people own it so I can always get support too if something goes wrong.

I love the colors some people can get from mixing T5's, but damn for the life of me I cannot get the same combos to looks decent over my tanks :( I also hate the rapid burn-out, but not so much from a cost perspective, but rather from a continuity perspective. I'd like my lighting not to have so many peaks and valleys that I get from having bulbs go out... then again, I have yet to get a T5 system going where I did not stick all the bulbs in at once :lol:

BAYMAC said:
I love the colors some people can get from mixing T5's, but damn for the life of me I cannot get the same combos to looks decent over my tanks :( I also hate the rapid burn-out, but not so much from a cost perspective, but rather from a continuity perspective. I'd like my lighting not to have so many peaks and valleys that I get from having bulbs go out... then again, I have yet to get a T5 system going where I did not stick all the bulbs in at once :lol:

At this point -- I just want to get my tank and forget about all the choices I had to make and all the bad choices I made.
Why everything is a big deal in this hobby? what was being used before we had T5, there were still tanks out there, what was happening before all these additives ? I even read that 80% of the nutrition reef gets is not from light, even in low light corals can live but not in low nutrition, so lighting is not that important. anyways, I bought this tank to enjoy it and not take up my life, and this tank is taking up all my energy even before I got it.

Anyways, I'm really disappointed in lot of things and people and LFS's already.

I'm saying this to everyone on this forum, stop making a big deal about LEDs and such. its NOT THAT IMPORTANT, more important is to ENJOY the hobby and be respectful to other people's opinion, guide them but not force them or make them feel bad. Just like my teen years, Its happening all over again...... a nightmare, Do I have to get approval of everything I do ?

Friendly advice (really) is to read one or two good reef keeping books.
A lot more detailed thought and research goes into making a book, versus quick posts on the internet.
And I bet you will be pleasantly surprised at how good your decisions seem after all.

rygh said:
A lot more detailed thought and research goes into making a book, versus quick posts on the internet.
And I bet you will be pleasantly surprised at how good your decisions seem after all.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Tony Vargas' book was the first book that I read. It was really easy to read, even though first time around I didn't understand everything clearly. However, it gave me a solid foundation to build upon in understanding the hobby. It really limited my shoot-in-the-dark questions.

denzil said:
rygh said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Tony Vargas' book was the first book that I read. It was really easy to read, even though first time around I didn't understand everything clearly. However, it gave me a solid foundation to build upon in understanding the hobby. It really limited my shoot-in-the-dark questions.

Thanks Denzil, I already ordered that book. :)

Nish,

I think you might be misinterpreting the discussion. At least in the public forums I have not read any comments about 'all the bad choices' you made.

We are a geekie aquarium crowd. If ANYONE asks for an opinion, they will get a few ;) along with a heated discussion of the merits of all those opinions. In the end we all choose our own path and no one will think the lesser of you (or me) for our choices. We all have individual goals and aspirations for our tanks. We might want to just 'see what happens if...' and do something really weird. Aquariums, like life, are a grand experiment. We all get to be Mr. Wizard (old dude reference) or Bill Nye, the science guy (more modern reference).

rygh said:

Hey Mark- thanks for a great advice. And I completely agree with you.

Well, if only technology and custom aquariums are guarantee of successful reef tank then no one would have any problems.

The bottom line from my point of view is not to mess with tank. Just put corals and give them time before adding more and then give it more time before adding more, Not just days but weeks and months, things change very slowly in nature so we must keep our hands out than in and that's all. The more we mess with tank the more time it will take to mature. We just need to LEAVE IT ALONE and let it do it thing. Meanwhile just check the parameters and that's it.

LESS INTERVENTION IS THE KEY...

Kensington Reefer said:
Nish
You can come see my tanks. I employ simple but regular tasks on my systems. I test nothing.
My fish and corals are large and old.

That's great !! Thanks for the invitation. I would love to. :) the only REAL tank I have seen yet is the one at Neptune. :)

Coral reefer said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Nish
You can come see my tanks. I employ simple but regular tasks on my systems. I test nothing.
My balls are large, hairy, and old.

Fixed that for you Erin!

LOL

ReefLove said:
BAYMAC said:

At this point -- I just want to get my tank and forget about all the choices I had to make and all the bad choices I made.
Why everything is a big deal in this hobby? what was being used before we had T5, there were still tanks out there, what was happening before all these additives ? I even read that 80% of the nutrition reef gets is not from light, even in low light corals can live but not in low nutrition, so lighting is not that important. anyways, I bought this tank to enjoy it and not take up my life, and this tank is taking up all my energy even before I got it.

Anyways, I'm really disappointed in lot of things and people and LFS's already.

I'm saying this to everyone on this forum, stop making a big deal about LEDs and such. its NOT THAT IMPORTANT, more important is to ENJOY the hobby and be respectful to other people's opinion, guide them but not force them or make them feel bad. Just like my teen years, Its happening all over again...... a nightmare, Do I have to get approval of everything I do ?

WOOOH there Nelly.... I was in no way bashing your choice and I do not think you made a bad choice with tank/lighting/etc as there really is no bad choices. I've run successful tanks using Skilters (old "useles" protein skimmer) with NO T8 bulbs and IMO they were some of the better tanks I have run. More tech is not always the way.

I really haven't seen anyone bashing your choices, just sharing their thoughts.

Back