Our mission

105 G Star fire- new tank

:) Well maybe 300 posts we will see water.
Double post due to dry fingers. not trying to get you there any faster. :bigsmile:

BAYMAC said:
ReefLove said:
BAYMAC said:
I love the colors some people can get from mixing T5's, but damn for the life of me I cannot get the same combos to looks decent over my tanks :( I also hate the rapid burn-out, but not so much from a cost perspective, but rather from a continuity perspective. I'd like my lighting not to have so many peaks and valleys that I get from having bulbs go out... then again, I have yet to get a T5 system going where I did not stick all the bulbs in at once :lol:

At this point -- I just want to get my tank and forget about all the choices I had to make and all the bad choices I made.
Why everything is a big deal in this hobby? what was being used before we had T5, there were still tanks out there, what was happening before all these additives ? I even read that 80% of the nutrition reef gets is not from light, even in low light corals can live but not in low nutrition, so lighting is not that important. anyways, I bought this tank to enjoy it and not take up my life, and this tank is taking up all my energy even before I got it.

Anyways, I'm really disappointed in lot of things and people and LFS's already.

I'm saying this to everyone on this forum, stop making a big deal about LEDs and such. its NOT THAT IMPORTANT, more important is to ENJOY the hobby and be respectful to other people's opinion, guide them but not force them or make them feel bad. Just like my teen years, Its happening all over again...... a nightmare, Do I have to get approval of everything I do ?

WOOOH there Nelly.... I was in no way bashing your choice and I do not think you made a bad choice with tank/lighting/etc as there really is no bad choices. I've run successful tanks using Skilters (old "useles" protein skimmer) with NO T8 bulbs and IMO they were some of the better tanks I have run. More tech is not always the way.

I really haven't seen anyone bashing your choices, just sharing their thoughts.

JAR said:
:) Well maybe 300 posts we will see water.
Double post due to dry fingers. not trying to get you there any faster. :bigsmile:

LOL. May be more. Getting delivery in FEB. 4-6 weeks. :(

ReefLove said:
we all have very strong convictions. :bigsmile: and may be that is a key to be a successful reefer.

This and the other concept you posted sure put you ahead of the game in a big way :) This hobby is an attention whore at times and having strong convictions sure helps.

Like I said, I've got a pretty large reef related library if there is a book or three you want to borrow. Hit me up via PM if so.

BAYMAC said:
ReefLove said:
we all have very strong convictions. :bigsmile: and may be that is a key to be a successful reefer.

This and the other concept you posted sure put you ahead of the game in a big way :) This hobby is an attention whore at times and having strong convictions sure helps.

Like I said, I've got a pretty large reef related library if there is a book or three you want to borrow. Hit me up via PM if so.

Now, I'm not fool enough to say no. :bigsmile: I will have to check your collection one of these days. Thanks for the offer.

BAYMAC said:
ReefLove said:
LESS INTERVENTION IS THE KEY...

You've arrived at a crucial concept that most take years to arrive at :)

That's what my conviction is. Nature always work at its best with less intervention.

:( My library resides at my office and the facility my office is at is "top secret". Some call it Algae 51 since our main business is algal paste production for aquaculture and the processes we invented, while patentable, are better kept secret by simply hiding the facility itself. I'll make a list next monday, I think I have one nearly completed :lol: I pretty much have every aquarium book in print, and out of print, since 1980. Some of the ones the really sucked (bad info) I passed along to others though :lol:

BAYMAC said:
:( My library resides at my office and the facility my office is at is "top secret". Some call it Algae 51 since our main business is algal paste production for aquaculture and the processes we invented, while patentable, are better kept secret by simply hiding the facility itself. I'll make a list next monday, I think I have one nearly completed :lol: I pretty much have every aquarium book in print, and out of print, since 1980. Some of the ones the really sucked (bad info) I passed along to others though :lol:

LOL..no worries. Take your time. Just let me know which one should help me most. And we can start from there.

I will find the science article on the corals experiment with food and light.

Please do, I'd LOVE to read those papers :) I haven't done much searching for peer reviewed coral work in the last two years. Normally I get feed articles from friends now :D

Found it in my Favs. It has 7 parts.

First part- http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/eb/index.php

The one you might like most is 1st and 7th - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/eb/index.php

The one I was referring to was this study.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/eb/index.php

Oh, EB's articles, got those and at one point were linked on our website. Semi useful, but pretty dated now. I don't like to use hobby writers for that type of info anymore, well, most hobbyist authors. I look to peer reviewed work. Reefkeeping never peer reviewed, but Advanced Aquarist Online does FWIW.

BAYMAC said:
Oh, EB's articles, got those and at one point were linked on our website. Semi useful, but pretty dated now. I don't like to use hobby writers for that type of info anymore, well, most hobbyist authors. I look to peer reviewed work. Reefkeeping never peer reviewed, but Advanced Aquarist Online does FWIW.

But it seems to have some truth if not all. And it's 10'years old info so no biotech boom yet at that point. :)

BAYMAC said:

I read a lot. So if you know good articles. Let me know. I do my research everywhere not only on forums.

BAYMAC said:
I guess that means guests are required to sign NDA's? :)

I live so close to you that I should just drive on over, haha.

@ReefLove

Oh for sure, there is an TON of valuable info in that series. There have been studies done that do contradict some of the old ones. I've dropped off over the last couple years as the more I learned, the more people requested I talk to their club, or at their event, and I dislike public speaking :lol:

Do you have access to the various scientific journals? Most require fairly costly subscriptions, but luckily my job allows me access to them. Some of what I have is public access, you're welcome to any of that. I'll have to figure out what is actually public access though, that may prove time consuming as I'll have to visit each website.

@Denzil

What few guests we get sign NDAs for sure. All contractors do, even our freight forwarders and shipping companies :)

You live in Santa Cruz? I'm out in Aptos now actually.

Back