Reef nutrition

The Aquarium Showroom - San Jose, CA

Thanks for changing the name Bryan.....now I have to go back....I was there before he opened a few months back.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4339.msg52906#msg52906 date=1219109657]
Fly tying and DIY'ing reefing are two entirely different worlds IMO having lived both for many many years :) With very few tools one can wrap a fly that will slay the fish, yet take the same few tools and try to DIY reef with them :) You really can save money tying your own flys, but DIY'ing reefing doesn't always equate to such savings ;)

I've worked at LFS's, and tackle stores as well. Both are equally as fun and tiresome :lol:
[/quote]

Well shoot, lets go nail some surf perch some day! All you need is a 6wt and orange crab flies :)

You are right, DIY in reefing doesn't always mean saving money, I usually break even on the tools and supplies when all is done. But my point was DIY extends the hobby, rather than dropping $40 on a pre-fab maxijet mod and being done for the day, you can spend a little time and money doing your own, which adds to the time spent and reward of the hobby.

In the last couple months I've:

Removed and buffered scratches from a Tru Vu (Novus from TAP, wool buffer pad from ACE)
Striped and re-stained an old oak stand (stripper, marine stain, brushes, putty knife from HD)
Built my own frag rack (magnets, epoxy, superglue, and egg crate from HD)
Drilled and rod my live rock (fiberglass rod from TAP, drill bit from ACE)
Modding a SeaClown skimmer (silicon from HD)

I know it doesn't make sense for a LFS to carry all of this stuff, but I would think egg crate ($10 at HD!?!?), Novus, magnets, and epoxy would sell.

Also, is the margin on lighting components really poor? You never see ballasts, endcaps, reflectors, etc for sale, seems like out of everything these components have the most turn over among reefers.

Cheers,

Josh

Here's a cost savings tip, don't buy Novus but get McGuires Automative wax :) Same stuff :)

[quote author=theaquariumshowroom link=topic=4339.msg52843#msg52843 date=1219076426]
I still have a few other big yumas as well as some red and pink yumas too.
[/quote]

LOL i know.. but i cant be spending that kind of cash on it just yet lol. let me at least try and grow this first one out lol!!!

:D I've seen em every time I've been by adn every time they've been in a new spot so good luck :)

I'm serious about the stand/canopy now, Chris have the time :) I may have another job for him, I mean you, as well :D

ok max, well whenever you find them, let me know, and we can talk about price :D

ps- Yuma is still doing great, and the rock with all the different stuff on it. lookin good :D

Max, the ballroom available mid/late November on like a sat? You and I could sponsor a small event. I have a speaker sort of lined up (pretty much), what do you think? It's an off month for BAR and the speaker is coming out for a MARS talk. Actually, I think we could have a few speakers if we wanted to :)

Well I could get other vendors to show up, so filling space shouldn't be an issue :)

I'm sure I could get Curt at Neptune Systems, Tom/Dan at PGS, and a few others to show up with booths in tow :) Club booth, etc.

Back